• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finance company refuses to hand over title to truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azur199

The finance company and collection agency in my question are in Spokane, WA and we are in North Carolina, our home state, where we moved back to, after 20 years on the west coast.

My husband owed around $950 more on his truck. He's been laid off a long while so wanted to pay it off with our income tax refund. It had gone into collections and the collection agency offered him a payoff amount of 50% of the total, which my husband paid off.

He has the offer letter and a follow-up confirmation letter from the collections agency saying "we acknowledge your final payment in the amount of $488.33 on the date of 2/14/11, which settles the account and releases you from any further liability regarding obligations to original creditor and **** **** recovery services."

The original creditor, the finance company that financed the truck, is now withholding the title saying he has to pay $300 more dollars, before he gets the title. The collection agency says that the finance company absolutely will not release the title without that $300.

The woman at the finance company told my husband the title would be in the mail within 21 days after his payment on 2/14.

Immediately after confronting the finance company with the letter/deal from the collection agency, the woman at the finance company told my husband that they had not authorized the collection agency to make that deal and that the collection agency would have to pay the remainder.

The collection agency for two weeks has played cat and mouse, with the last phone call being that the finance company absolutely will not release the title until the remaining funds on the truck are paid and they, the collection agency says they will not pay that money, that my husband has to pay it.

Does the original creditor have the right to withhold the title to my husband's truck??

We need this truck on the road in a hurry. Its the only way for my husband to get work and he cannot even get in licensed without the title. We moved to another state before all this happened.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Duplicate Post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/debt-collections-84/wa-creditor-used-collection-agency-both-renigging-deal-544562.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">