• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apple released personal information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindseyo

Arizona
Apple accidentally realeased my personal information (name, address, phone, email) in the form of a rebate confirmation to another random customer. This person emailed me with a copy of the email that was sent to him by apple, thinking that I worked for apple and was demanding his rebate. At first i thought it was spam or something and when I finally opened the copy of the email that was sent to him I saw my personal information. I wrote him back asking how this happened and he discontinued correspondence. I called apple to find out why this was and to see if they could do anything to ensure it wouldn't happen again. The first person I talked to said there was nothing they could do for me and finally transferered me to a supervisor. He first told me it was probably a scam and someone got my information from the internet (i do not have any of this info online or in phone books, etc.). After i explained to him what happened all he could tell me was that he was sorry and it was a one time thing. I'm not satisfied with this answer. Is there something else I should ask for from apple or should i just forget it and hope it doesn't happen again or this man does not use my information?

Antigone*

Arizona
Apple accidentally realeased my personal information (name, address, phone, email) in the form of a rebate confirmation to another random customer. This person emailed me with a copy of the email that was sent to him by apple, thinking that I worked for apple and was demanding his rebate. At first i thought it was spam or something and when I finally opened the copy of the email that was sent to him I saw my personal information. I wrote him back asking how this happened and he discontinued correspondence. I called apple to find out why this was and to see if they could do anything to ensure it wouldn't happen again. The first person I talked to said there was nothing they could do for me and finally transferered me to a supervisor. He first told me it was probably a scam and someone got my information from the internet (i do not have any of this info online or in phone books, etc.). After i explained to him what happened all he could tell me was that he was sorry and it was a one time thing. I'm not satisfied with this answer. Is there something else I should ask for from apple or should i just forget it and hope it doesn't happen again or this man does not use my information?

This information accidentally released by Apple is readily available on the internet. So ask them for an ITunes gift card for your trouble and be done with it.

FlyingRon

What makes you think Apple has any legal responsibility to keep your information private? You can work your way up the customer service food chain, but frankly you've got no legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">