• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return deposit / retainer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JBaywatch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

Last month I met with an attorney( Actually with attorneys assistant) to defend me in a possible foreclosure. I gave a $1,000 personal check as a deposit and he drew up a contract for monthly payments due of $500 until a retainer of $6,500 total had been paid with the first payment due on March 31, 2011.

Since the note is in my wifes name and deed is both our name, my wife had to sign the retainer contract. He gave me a copy and told me to take it home have wife sign and mail it back. I never mailed it back to him and had not spoke to his office again until today when I called to inform him that I was no longer in need of his service and would like my $1,000 returned. He said he wasn't sure he could return my money, that he would need to check with the attorney. What can I do if he doesn't return my funds?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">