• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PsiJet

Washington State

I have an interesting question, which I claim isn't exactly the BEST for me, but I want to know for future reference.

In Cleveland, OH, I had signed up for a company online for VOIP phone service around March, 2010.

Everything was fine, flash forward to November, 2010. I paid the month, but since I was moving back to Washington state, and could already get phone without VOIP, I was going to cancel the VOIP. (Note I DO admit to the word "was").

Now flash forward to current (March 23rd, 2011) without email from the company and they state the following via email:

Dear [redacted],

Thank you for choosing [redacted], the Award winning Internet phone company. This email is to notify you that your order placed on 12/28/2010, has been cancelled per your request.

The question I have to submit is, even though I NEVER sent in a cancellation request, they had clearly stated that PER MY REQUEST, I have been cancelled AND that I had ordered their services on 12/28/2010, which is false, but yet they want to charge me $119.08.

Could such a thing be classified as falsification of records?

FlyingRon

It sounds like an error. Did you contact them and point out you didn't cancel service? I'm sure they'll be glad to keep you. Having an error in the record didn't mean anybody "falsified" it, that would take intent. Further, even if the records were falsified, so WHAT? What are your damages?

Further, from the wording of the message, I'm wondering if they even did cancel you? Is your service still working? It would seem to me that perhaps some second errant order was created and terminated. The fact that it was ascribed to "your request" doesn't really mean much. No harm, no foul.

Oo, oo oo oo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">