• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicked out of nursing program 6weeks before graduation!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mess011

I go to a college in IL. I am a senior in the nursing program. I was supposed to graduation in six weeks, but because of a little policy in the handbook I was kicked out of the program. In my Community Public Nursing class, I received a 100% in clinicals...but in class content, there was a new professor that has never taught before AND used an old professor’s exams and notes! I am the student that sits in the front row of every class and makes elaborate notes from class and the book and sends them to the other students.

One of the policies is that your 3 exams in the class have to average a 78% or you’re kicked out of the program. My exams averaged 74%, BUT my final grade in the course is a B! So they took away my B, gave me a D, and kicked me out of the program six weeks before graduation.

I have a 3.2 GPA, been working at Rush Medical Center, in Chicago for two years. I have three jobs and put myself through school. I was even the nursing tutor for medication calculations. I'm completely devastated. If I transfer I lose the last two years of nursing credits/clinicals and have to re-do everything.

They said I could petition to get back in next spring 2012, but it’s not a guarantee. The director is very harsh with no compassion. She told me I should change my major!

I’ve wanted to be a nurse since I was 7yrs old and my sister died. Her purpose in life was to show me the importance of being a great nurse. A nurse is the last line of defense, they are the ones who can question a doctor’s mistake...take, they are the ones who make the first assessment, and when I was seven they are the ones who continued (for only three short days that she was sick) to tell my mother my sister just had the flu. Her name is Angel and her reason in life was to teach me the importance of thinking outside of the box to be compassionate and realize that life could be as short as a year, but with your eyes open to all the possibilities maybe just maybe that nurse would have ordered a spinal tap and realize she had spinal meningitis, then who knows where I’d be today.

Any advice?!!?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
This is a policy issue, not a legal issue.

Your three exams must average 78%, yours averaged 74%.

The problems this is causing for you are unfortunate, but the school's policy appears to be clear, and firm.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
One of the policies is that your 3 exams in the class have to average a 78% or you’re kicked out of the program. My exams averaged 74%

This is really all there is to say. They have no legal obligation to exempt you from the requirements because of your personal situation.

Hot Topic

I go to a college in IL. I am a senior in the nursing program. I was supposed to graduation in six weeks, but because of a little policy in the handbook I was kicked out of the program. In my Community Public Nursing class, I received a 100% in clinicals...but in class content, there was a new professor that has never taught before AND used an old professor&#8217;s exams and notes! I am the student that sits in the front row of every class and makes elaborate notes from class and the book and sends them to the other students.

One of the policies is that your 3 exams in the class have to average a 78% or you&#8217;re kicked out of the program. My exams averaged 74%, BUT my final grade in the course is a B! So they took away my B, gave me a D, and kicked me out of the program six weeks before graduation.

I have a 3.2 GPA, been working at Rush Medical Center, in Chicago for two years. I have three jobs and put myself through school. I was even the nursing tutor for medication calculations. I'm completely devastated. If I transfer I lose the last two years of nursing credits/clinicals and have to re-do everything.

They said I could petition to get back in next spring 2012, but it&#8217;s not a guarantee. The director is very harsh with no compassion. She told me I should change my major!

I&#8217;ve wanted to be a nurse since I was 7yrs old and my sister died. Her purpose in life was to show me the importance of being a great nurse. A nurse is the last line of defense, they are the ones who can question a doctor&#8217;s mistake...take, they are the ones who make the first assessment, and when I was seven they are the ones who continued (for only three short days that she was sick) to tell my mother my sister just had the flu. Her name is Angel and her reason in life was to teach me the importance of thinking outside of the box to be compassionate and realize that life could be as short as a year, but with your eyes open to all the possibilities maybe just maybe that nurse would have ordered a spinal tap and realize she had spinal meningitis, then who knows where I&#8217;d be today.

Any advice?!!?

I suspect Angel would have encouraged you to accept responsibility for not averaging the 78% required on the three exams and stop trying to shift blame to the new professor and condemning the director for her failure to give you a pass.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">