• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stet dockets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisaamb6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
How long do cases remain on the stet docket. My fried had 3 drug charges for posession along with a trespasing charge. The incident date was 2/08/10, the disposition date was 5/4/10. All but one posession charge were put on the Stet docket. On 3/24/11 he was arressted agin for posession. How likely is it that the prosecutor will add the stets to the active docket? Does this sould like something that he should be using a public defender for? I think that he needs a private atty. Thanks for your help.

FlyingRon

The amount of time for the stet is determined by the judge who places it there. It's typically a year. It's quite likely that the charges will be reactivated. He explicitly waived his right to a speedy trial when the charges were stet'd.

He definitely needs a lawyer. If he can afford private counsel, he will not qualify for a public defender. Public defenders are for those who are indigent and unable rather than just unwilling to pay for private counsel.

Lisaamb6

Thanks Ron...
He is indigent but I am attempting to scrape together enough $ to hire a private atty. Thanks for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">