• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any advice appreciated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jgarza2754

Week before last at around 9:30 p.m. I went to my buddies house to drink a brew or two and play some cards. At ten o clock I got a call from my mom saying that someone had tried to break into my house and had assaulted her. I rushed home to find my front yard turned into a circus of police officers and EMS. When I went inside my mom was laying on the floor with a rather nasty cut in her side(18 stitches), a broken hand, and a bunch of bruises on her face. I am the primary lease holder at my house and I let my mom move in with me last year when she lost everything after she was raped and suffered a breakdown. Well the door to my room was locked (as it always is when I am away from the house). However while I was following my mom to be put into the ambulance the police officers forced their way into my room and saw my measly one gram bag of chronic sitting next to my computer. They did not have permission to enter my room and they responded to a B&E call to our house. When I walked back inside I instantly knew that they had went into my room because my cat was out(she stays in my room) and I had not been in there since I had left. Well after that they commenced to question me about my herb for a solid thirty minutes(while my mom is on the way to the hospital bleeding) and then wrote me a ticket for possession of up to a 1/2 ounce. Now I understand the repercussions of smoking marijuana and I accept the consequences for doing so(although I do not agree with them). Someone please tell me if I am wrong here to be a little bit pissed off. I feel as if the police officers were more concerned with my herb(because they can make that stick) then the fact that my mom was assaulted and my house was broken into(still no advancements in the case and there will not be any). I know that if there is an immediate threat to the public that the police officers have every right to enter anywhere they **** well please to quell the threat. However if the threat was that immediate, why did they not enter the room until I walked outside? Why wait almost an hour to do so? Wouldn't that have been the first thing they should have done with arrival on the scene? Now I have an upcoming court date and a round of legal fees to pay for and I feel as if my rights were pretty much crapped on. I am a good guy. I do not take any kind of medicine whatsoever and I drink on a very rare occasion. I volunteer at my local spca and public library on a weekly basis. I study hard in school and I take care of my mother because that is the right thing to do. But like what the hell? Any advice that any of you can give me or any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try to fight this in court, not because I do not want to get charged. But because I feel as if my fourth amendment right was stepped on and I believe that the only way our country can move forward is for people to stand up to unjust laws. The problem is that number of people decreases everyday. I thank you for taking your time to read this and I hope that someone out there may be able to help me out. One Love.

Note: I posted this first in Arrests, Searches, Warrants and Procedures.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">