• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage by Water District

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eightball3

I live in Washington State. While ComCast was installing my cable they severed a 2" water main that was not supposed to be there according to the water district. They had been out a few days earlier and provided a locate of the water main 8' to the east of where the ditch was dug. The water ran for 45 minutes before the water district could shut it off. As a result, my cement driveway was damaged along with the private asphalt road in front of my house. The water district agreed to repair the damage. They sent out a private adjuster (I've discovered they are self-insured) along with a contractor. The contractor wrote up an estimate to replace 9 of the 11 cement panels and provided it to the adjuster. The adjuster submitted it to me along with a settlement letter to sign. My wife and I decided that for aesthetic reasons we would pay to have the other two panels replaced at our expense. I solicited for a couple bids. The adjuster asked why I hadn't signed the settlement letter yet and I said I was still waiting for a bid to come in. If I could afford the difference, I would have the rest replaced, otherwise I would just have them do the repairs instead of accepting the money (less hastle for me). Once the adjuster found out I was getting bids he informed me that the settlement offer was withdrawn. He went on to say that his client was entitled to depreciation that was not taken. And he would get back to me. I was disturbed by this so and became suspicious. I was reviewing their bid and realized that it did not include the cost to replace the cement or finish it. It was just a demolition bid. I contacted the contractor that came out and he confirmed that what I recieved was only half the bid he provided. This damage occured on July 29th 2010 and I'm still waiting for a resolution. I think I'm getting the runaround...(ya think!):(

I've recently contacted a couple lawyers in an attempt to find out what steps I can take. I've been told that I cannot collect attorney fees if I sue the district for the damages. I am amazed at this.

Anyone have any suggestions. Thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">