• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Loan question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gohanfan01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
My wife is being sued for student loans directly from Alverno. She signed up for classes, but was never able to attend. Not even one class for the semester she is being charged for.

They do say that in order to drop a class, you have to officially fill out paperwork, but they never told her that until it was too late.

My question is, is it legal to still charge her for the classes even though she did not attend? In other words, how can she be charged for something if she never received it, especially charged for the whole semester?

Thanks for any advice or info you can give.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
My wife is being sued for student loans directly from Alverno. She signed up for classes, but was never able to attend. Not even one class for the semester she is being charged for.

They do say that in order to drop a class, you have to officially fill out paperwork, but they never told her that until it was too late.

My question is, is it legal to still charge her for the classes even though she did not attend? In other words, how can she be charged for something if she never received it, especially charged for the whole semester?

Thanks for any advice or info you can give.
If she did not follow the proper procedure for dropping a class, of course she is liable to pay back that loan. The school reserved a place for her in that class, a place that another student could have used.

Just one note when it comes to student loans ~ they follow you (her) to the grave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">