• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Time Warner bill you without informing that you will be charged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sylv86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My brother worked for Time Warner Cable up until near the end of 2010. While he was there, free cable TV and internet was included as part of his employee benefits. After he left and found work elsewhere, we continued to have the free cable internet and TV, but they have never informed him in any way that he was to be charged for this, and not a single bill for about 6 months. Now they send out a bill for a whopping $800 dollars. Is what they did legal? If so, what can we do to downsize this bill? I'm thinking perhaps that's against their own company policy. Any help is appreciated :(

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My brother worked for Time Warner Cable up until near the end of 2010. While he was there, free cable TV and internet was included as part of his employee benefits. After he left and found work elsewhere, we continued to have the free cable internet and TV, but they have never informed him in any way that he was to be charged for this, and not a single bill for about 6 months. Now they send out a bill for a whopping $800 dollars. Is what they did legal? If so, what can we do to downsize this bill? I'm thinking perhaps that's against their own company policy. Any help is appreciated :(
By your own admission, the free cable TV and internet was part of your brother's employee benefits. When he left, it would follow that he would lose out on the complimentary services as got as part of his employment package.

The fact that Time Warner did not catch the fact that they had failed to discontinue the services after his employment ended does not negate the fact that he still needs to pay for them. Your brother knew the free ride was SUPPOSED to end when his employment did.

I would try to discuss a repayment schedule with Time Warner to reimburse them. And now that you know you must pay for them, you may wish to negotiate pricing or have the services disconnected to avoid further additional charges from accruing.

sylv86

hmm

Thank you sandy, we've already disconnected from Time Warner.

I posted this same question on another web site, and got the following reply.

random person said:
Do not pay. It is a valid dispute. They have the burden of proving you have any obligation to pay.

As a general rule, to enforce a contract for services they would have to produce a signed contract for services in court. If they cannot prove you agreed to pay, then they cannot expect to win a claim for something that they gave you for free. It's not as if you hooked it up without permission.

Do not pay TWC for anything that is in dispute. If they sue, file a counterclaim for fraud.
What do you guys think about what he said?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think that your brother knew perfectly well that he wasn't entitled to continue with the free service after he was no longer employed there, and that it was damned dishonest of him not to pick up the phone and call to tell them about it the very first moment he realized that they'd made an error. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why he should be excused from paying a single penny of that bill.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And I would bet that anyone other than immediate family (i.e. spouse/kids) wasn't eligible for that perk even while he was employed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">