• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal to HAVE sold marijuana?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juntjoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL.

is it illegal to have sold and been in possession of marijuana? suppose you wanted to talk to the police about a burglary at your residence(to catch the burglar(s)) and the fact that you were possessing and selling marijuana was helpful with the facts of the case. would you be arrested? thanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Of course. If they have evidence/witnesses that you were in possession or dealing drugs the can arrested you. If these convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that you had done so, you can be convicted.

It's generally a bad idea to call the police and tell them that someone broke in and stole your illegal drugs that you had been selling.

Antigone*

is it illegal to have sold and been in possession of marijuana? suppose you wanted to talk to the police about a burglary at your residence(to catch the burglar(s)) and the fact that you were possessing and selling marijuana was helpful with the facts of the case. would you be arrested? thanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

So what got stolen, your pot???:eek:

dave33

If the situation is this...

Someone broke into your house and stole your pot and now you are wondering
if you can report them and get them in trouble.

You might want to let this one go.

CdwJava

While they cannot go after you solely based upon your admission, the police will likely want to come and inspect the premises. This might result in them finding evidence of your illegal activity.

Then, if they catch the burglar (probably someone that you already know) he may be willing to cop a plea deal for lesser charges if he testifies against you regarding your sales and what he found when he went inside.

Do you see how this can come out bad for you?

Consider this a cost of engaging in a criminal enterprise.

juntjoo

While they cannot go after you solely based upon your admission, the police will likely want to come and inspect the premises. This might result in them finding evidence of your illegal activity.

Then, if they catch the burglar (probably someone that you already know) he may be willing to cop a plea deal for lesser charges if he testifies against you regarding your sales and what he found when he went inside.

Do you see how this can come out bad for you?

Consider this a cost of engaging in a criminal enterprise.
well, I guess I didn't make this part clear, the "have" part. forget the selling part. the cops liked the idea that i was selling it, whether i was or not, i don't think it would be relevant as much as the fact that i had it but I was burglarized twice by the same group of people, and whenever I had spoken with the cops they seemed more interested in my involvement with marijuana than the burglars, so before i go to them with information i have i'm feeling like i'll need to satisfy their urge to know about my involvement with the marijuana, which is presently a thing of the past hence my question about "have"ing had it.

so cdwjava, are telling me that they cannot go after me for a crime i'd be committing today based on my admission? if so, then wouldn't i have less to worry about about them going after me today for a crime i committed in the past?

large amounts of marijuana was only part of what they took. they took anything and everything they could get their hands on on two occasions, the second occasion placing me in jail after the cops founds some samples out in the open after my roommate called the cops after the burglars robbed us when i wasn't home(roommate was). now i have some information about who they were and after all i've suffered from this i'm seeking some justice.

CdwJava

so cdwjava, are telling me that they cannot go after me for a crime i'd be committing today based on my admission? if so, then wouldn't i have less to worry about about them going after me today for a crime i committed in the past?
Your admission - by itself - is not enough to convict you. However, when they survey the burglary scene, and then later speak to the burglar, the odds are they will have the evidence they need of your cultivation, and, maybe sales.

now i have some information about who they were and after all i've suffered from this i'm seeking some justice.
That's fine. But, understand that the "justice" could involve the burglars agreeing to rat you out as part of a deal and tell the cops what they know about you and your operation.

It's up to you how much of a gambler you are. Do you want to run the risk that the burglars will cooperate with the cops and dime your dope dealing off?

It might be best to just let it be.

Your call.

juntjoo

you really think they care what i was up to before? and 'cultivation' is far far from what i was up to.

The Occultist

you really think they care what i was up to before? and 'cultivation' is far far from what i was up to.
How about an unrelated, very unlikely extreme example to prove this point? If I murdered somebody, but in the process became aware that somebody that resided at the scene of the crime had stolen goods there, and I went to the police the next day and said, "Hey, while I was killing this guy, I came across proof of a robbery. And since I'm being such a good sport about coming forth I think you should look the other way on the murder I committed.", how do you think that will be received?

Mass_Shyster

Very interesting post. You're withholding exactly what you were up to, but are asking for an opinion as to the police interest in the activity you're not disclosing.

I don't think anyone can answer that one.

CdwJava

If all you were involved in was holding a few grams for personal use, maybe not. But, if involved in sales, transportation, or cultivation, yes they would probably be interested. Especially it seems that the motive for this theft was at least partially about your stash.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">