• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Major omission....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dera416

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey.

After 8 years of marriage I separated from my husband for a period of 18 months (NJ), and filed for and was granted a no fault divorce. There were no children.

I used Pre-Paid legal services. My ex-husband wanted the house, and as we were upside down on the mortgage, I agreed. I, inturn, took our time share, and we were basically done. At no point in time did my counsel mention or point out to me that I was entitled to a portion of his social security. I found out recently that our divorce was granted 6 weeks shy of our 10 year anniversary, which would have been the bench mark for participation. Do I have cause to move against the law firm on dropping the ball on this piece of information?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey.

After 8 years of marriage I separated from my husband for a period of 18 months (NJ), and filed for and was granted a no fault divorce. There were no children.

I used Pre-Paid legal services. My ex-husband wanted the house, and as we were upside down on the mortgage, I agreed. I, inturn, took our time share, and we were basically done. At no point in time did my counsel mention or point out to me that I was entitled to a portion of his social security. I found out recently that our divorce was granted 6 weeks shy of our 10 year anniversary, which would have been the bench mark for participation. Do I have cause to move against the law firm on dropping the ball on this piece of information?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
So you would have stayed with the guy in order to cash in on his benefits?:confused:

Silverplum

Since you separated at 8 years, I don't see how you find yourself "entitled" to a 10-year benefit.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Further, a prepaid legal services is NOT the place to get an attorney that is watching out for you. They just print out forms and stuff. They do not form an attorney-client relationship with you. It's not their job to negotiate the best possible divorce for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">