• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this legally binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fluffmutt

N.Y.S.- If i get my boyfriend to sign (and have notarized) a written agreement that entitles me to a certain amount of monetary compensation if he's caught cheating on me with another woman, is this legally binding? If not, what process or procedure would be needed to make something like this legally binding?

Antigone*

N.Y.S.- If i get my boyfriend to sign (and have notarized) a written agreement that entitles me to a certain amount of monetary compensation if he's caught cheating on me with another woman, is this legally binding? If not, what process or procedure would be needed to make something like this legally binding?
Either find a boyfriend who will not cheat on you or buy him a male chastity belt.

Either way you go, I suggest you get into therapy for your trust issues.

Oh and if you do happen to draw up such a ridiculous agreement, make sure you include cheating with men too:rolleyes:

dmcc10880

Sure it would be a legally binding contract, as utterly absurd as it is. What constitutes cheating? That should be defined. Is it looking at, or talking to, or text messaging, or giving a ride to, another girl? And how are you going to catch him? Going through his phone, email, stalking him? You're a real piece of work. :rolleyes:

Like AoG stated, if you think you can't trust him, why be with him. Likewise, he'd be a fool to sign anything like what you're talking about. If I were him, I'd run and run fast before you actually push him away.

swalsh411

Isn't consideration a required element for a valid contract?

What are you giving him in return for not cheating on you? Please remember that this is supposed to be a family friendly forum.

If my significant other asked me to sign such an agreement, though I wouldn't cheat, I'd take my exit from the relationship. How awful to be with someone with so little trust.

If he's cheated before, then you should end it. If he hasn't, I hope he leaves and you get therapy.

Sure, this agreement would be binding as long as you make sure to include something for him. If only you benefit from the contract, it's not going to hold water. If you both benefit, then it'll hold. So what are you willing to give to him for not breaking the contract?

Proserpina

Isn't consideration a required element for a valid contract?

What are you giving him in return for not cheating on you? Please remember that this is supposed to be a family friendly forum.

Admittedly this did bring a smirk to my face ;)

OP, if you're serious you really should consider the responses here.

dmcc, for example, hit on the importance of specifying exactly what constitutes cheating. Do you need proof of intercourse? What constitutes proof? Someone's word? Video footage? What if he cheats on you with another man?

Is a kiss cheating?

What about a "Monica"?

Is sexting cheating?

What about a few flirty emails?

Does signing up with an online dating agency constitute cheating?

These are all things to be considered.

However, the most practical advice you'll likely receive here has already been stated.

Run. Run from this man.

No trust = no relationship.

tranquility

As swalsh411 says, such purported "contracts" have a problem with consideration. They're good for contracts class homework though.

cyjeff

Ya know... if a girlfriend gave me this contract, I would break it by the end of the evening I was presented with it.

OP, you should seek counseling for your trust issues.

Getting someone to sign a contract will not prevent them from cheating. if you wish to take him to the cleaners if you break up, marry him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">