• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied at Depo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HereForHelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was subpoeaned for a deposition in case where someone fell on the property that my old company manages. ( I am not named in the lawsuit) When asked about my educational background, I lied about having gone to college. There is no correlation between what I said I earned degrees in and the type of work my old company does. Is this something that can hurt me?

dmcc10880

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was subpoeaned for a deposition in case where someone fell on the property that my old company manages. ( I am not named in the lawsuit) When asked about my educational background, I lied about having gone to college. There is no correlation between what I said I earned degrees in and the type of work my old company does. Is this something that can hurt me?
I doubt it. Asking about your educational background and so forth are fairly benign questions that have no bearing on the case.

However, you did lie under oath (perjury) and it may have bearing on the truthfulness and credibility of the rest of your testimony.

HereForHelp

Thank you. Is it typical to run a background check or to fact check answers to the background questions during a depo?

Antigone*

Thank you. Is it typical to run a background check or to fact check answers to the background questions during a depo?
I would. The more you know about the people you are deposing the better ~ the more ammunition you can accumulate.

Bad idea that fibbing stuff.

My mom used to say "te van a salir sapos de la boca" ~ and to this day I believe it.

You Are Guilty

"Falsus in uno" is the Latin you need to learn:
http://www.uslaw.com/bulletin/personal-injury-what-is-falsus-in-uno.php?p=1255

Shouldn't affect you, but not going to do much for whatever party wants to use your testimony.

HereForHelp

Thank you all.

So... If (I am unsure if background fact-checking is very common in these instances) the attorney checks my background are they obligated to share what they've found with the defense attorneys (for the parties named in the lawsuit) prior to the trial (If there is a trial)?

Also, Am I going to have to admit to my lie in court? I am tempted to contact the attorney defending my old company to spill the beans to them... thoughts?
Too little to late now perhaps?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">