• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tanning salon memberships

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwnmthrhulin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington:
I have a membership at a tanning salon that I entered into in Jan of 2011. I used the membership for one month. I went into the salon February 26th and told them that I needed to cancel my membership beginning in April because I could no longer afford to pay for the membership. The employee called the owner to ask how to do that. He told her that I could not cancel my membership because it is a contract and therefore can not be broken. She explained to him that I could not afford to pay it any longer but her still refused. I am now overdrawn in my bank account and can't replace the money as of yet. How do I get this membership canceled???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington:
I have a membership at a tanning salon that I entered into in Jan of 2011. I used the membership for one month. I went into the salon February 26th and told them that I needed to cancel my membership beginning in April because I could no longer afford to pay for the membership. The employee called the owner to ask how to do that. He told her that I could not cancel my membership because it is a contract and therefore can not be broken. She explained to him that I could not afford to pay it any longer but her still refused. I am now overdrawn in my bank account and can't replace the money as of yet. How do I get this membership canceled???
Please check your contract for cancellation options. Report back with your findings.

qwnmthrhulin

membership

I just looked at the website for this company and it clearly states in order to cancel your membership you simply need to go to the location where you set up your account and fill out a cancellation form. They never even offered the form to me. If they had told me to fill out a form I would have and they would not have charged me for April which as I stated before, has me overdrawn!

I_Got_Banned

It is also possible that the language you saw on the website is in reference to membership cancellation AFTER your contract expires. (Example: you are bound to a 1 year contract after which, your membership goes to a month to month at which point you can cancel by going to the location and completing the form).

So again, you need to check your contract to explore your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">