• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone provider adding services without consent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wingnut2521

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Can my cell phone provider add a new data plan to my contract without my consent? My issue is I purchased an unlimited data and text messaging plan back in 2005 for $19.99/month. Since then, I have not changed my contract, so I believe I should continue to receive the same plan. My provider has for the last 2 years tried everything to get me to change my plan. Recently they denied me an upgrade on my phone, because they said my data plan was no longer compatible with the new phones out there. I think the only thing not compatible is the price. So to test my theory, I borrowed a new smartphone from a friend and put in my sim card. Low and behold, the internet worked just fine. Now is where my question comes in. By putting my sim card in my friends phone, it registered to my provider that I owned a smartphone. So they took it upon themselves to add an "appropriate" data plan to my account. No call to me, to ask my permission to make changes. Just a text message saying they already did it. Now they want me to pay 3 times the amount for less services than I previously had. Isn't this the same thing as the long distance "slamming" from last decade? Can they just add extra charges to my account that they deem "appropriate"? Shouldn't they have to live up to my contract I signed in 2005 and continue to provide my services for the same amount? Thanks, in advance, for any feedback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">