• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I recover car rental costs because of mistakes, incompetence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwillson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
This is quite a story:

Summer of 2009 I blew an engine. Late fall of 09 I bought a re manufactured replacement. It didn't fit because of a difference in the casting and how it connects to the trans-axle. (2 wheel drive replacement versus All wheel drive original)
Sent engine back. February 2010, sent my engine to them to re-build. They make an error that causes an oil leak in May 2010. Warranty covers it. Repairs are tried locally, but do not work. Engine goes back to re-builder (Nebraska).

Oct. 2010 another 2 wheel drive engine is sent to my shop. It gets sent back
Here is where I decide to rent a car.
They tell me they are re-building my engine again. This goes on and on with delays for parts, etc. until March 2011 when I finally get someone to tell me the truth. They sold my engine to someone else, then had it sent back to them, then lost it in their stock pile...all the while telling me it was being worked on, waiting for parts, etc.
They promise they found it, and will send it out ASAP.
March 23 - engine arrives. 2 WHEEL DRIVE AGAIN Not my engine.
Now they tell my mechanic to grind off the part of the block that is in the way and go with it. (This could have been offered in Nov. 2009)
Total time from initial purchase to final resolution: 17+ months.
Time from warranty claim until resolution - 9 months
Total of my rental car costs is just over $3,000.
Should I pursue for rental costs?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does the contract with the engine rebuilder allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of a rental? Does is specifically DIS-allow it?

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
This is quite a story:

Summer of 2009 I blew an engine. Late fall of 09 I bought a re manufactured replacement. It didn't fit because of a difference in the casting and how it connects to the trans-axle. (2 wheel drive replacement versus All wheel drive original)
Sent engine back. February 2010, sent my engine to them to re-build. They make an error that causes an oil leak in May 2010. Warranty covers it. Repairs are tried locally, but do not work. Engine goes back to re-builder (Nebraska).

Oct. 2010 another 2 wheel drive engine is sent to my shop. It gets sent back
Here is where I decide to rent a car.
They tell me they are re-building my engine again. This goes on and on with delays for parts, etc. until March 2011 when I finally get someone to tell me the truth. They sold my engine to someone else, then had it sent back to them, then lost it in their stock pile...all the while telling me it was being worked on, waiting for parts, etc.
They promise they found it, and will send it out ASAP.
March 23 - engine arrives. 2 WHEEL DRIVE AGAIN Not my engine.
Now they tell my mechanic to grind off the part of the block that is in the way and go with it. (This could have been offered in Nov. 2009)
Total time from initial purchase to final resolution: 17+ months.
Time from warranty claim until resolution - 9 months
Total of my rental car costs is just over $3,000.
Should I pursue for rental costs?

I don't see anyone in their right mind allowing a business to screw up that many times and then demanding compensation because they did.

You can go after them, but I think you're going to hear pretty much the same thing in court. Plus something like, "You do know that it's April, 2011, don't you?"

cwillson

Does the contract with the engine rebuilder allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of a rental? Does is specifically DIS-allow it?
There is the standard clause that says they are not responsible for consequential damages, which I expected. It's also the reason I didn't jump right into a rental as soon as something went wrong. After 9 months of BS and runaround though, I'm wondering if a judge might say I deserved to be reimbursed.

Zigner

There is the standard clause that says they are not responsible for consequential damages, which I expected. It's also the reason I didn't jump right into a rental as soon as something went wrong. After 9 months of BS and runaround though, I'm wondering if a judge might say I deserved to be reimbursed.
You should have moved your car to another shop and cut your losses. THAT is what the judge will likely say.

cwillson

I don't see anyone in their right mind allowing a business to screw up that many times and then demanding compensation because they did.

You can go after them, but I think you're going to hear pretty much the same thing in court. Plus something like, "You do know that it's April, 2011, don't you?"
You're saying because I gave them multiple chance to fix the problem that I am not in my right mind? I'm crazy for being nice? and therefore should be punished?

cwillson

You should have moved your car to another shop and cut your losses. THAT is what the judge will likely say.
It wasn't the shop that was at fault. They are my local garage. I hired them to install the engine that I myself purchased from the re-builder, who are the ones that screwed the pooch. The shop has been on my side the whole time. It's the builder in Nebraska whose at fault.

Zigner

It wasn't the shop that was at fault. They are my local garage. I hired them to install the engine that I myself purchased from the re-builder, who are the ones that screwed the pooch. The shop has been on my side the whole time. It's the builder in Nebraska whose at fault.
Then you should have tried a different rebuilder.

Same effect, but if you wanna play semantic games...knock yourself out.

Hot Topic

You weren't being "nice." And now all you want is to be paid for putting up with a situation that the average person would have realized was hopeless a looooooong time ago. Some people enjoy being taken advantage of.

cwillson

You weren't being "nice." And now all you want is to be paid for putting up with a situation that the average person would have realized was hopeless a looooooong time ago. Some people enjoy being taken advantage of.
And some people are cynical pricks who only feel good about themselves if they are making someone else feel bad about themselves.

Didn't your mother teach you if you don't have something constructive to add to a conversation, then shut the hell up?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">