• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cited for 25658 (a)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krst

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I got caught in a police sting operation, basically I went to the store to buy a pack of cigarrettes, a guy asked me to buy him a six pack of budwiser (he told me he was 15) and me, in a moment of stupidity and lack of judgement agreed, Afterwards policemen detained me and issued a ticket for furnishing alcohol to minor. I feel very bad, I am not making excuses, i was an idiot for doing so and I am feeling very sorry and repentant for that. Now I know what i did is a misdemeanor ... a crime, and I need to go to court, since the policemen told me that their decoy was wearing a microphone and an undercover police officer was outside the store and saw me handing the six pack to the guy, because of that (they have all the evidence to prove me guilty) I think I am going to plead guilty at my arraignment, I just feel very embarrased. This happened last Sunday, and I have not been able to sleep for 2 days thinking of the consequences I could face. Doing research i found out that the penalty is a minimum fine of $1,000 and a minimum of 24 hours of community service, as for that, I have no problem in paying the fine and doing the community service, but ... Could i face jail time? I am really scared of going to jail, I have never been in problems with the law, not even an infraction.

Another question I have is ... How much time will the court give me to pay the fine? I know it depends on the court, but how much time they ussually give for this type of crime. Thanks in advance.

antrc170

It looks like you are facing a fine of $1000 and at least 24 hrs community service. The code doesn't indicate that any jail time is appropiate for this offense. It is up to the court on how long to give you to pay the fine but most will allow you to set up a payment schedule.

dmcc10880

It all depends on the judge, but figure you'll have about four months to pay the fine and complete your community service.

I_Got_Banned

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but thefine of $1000, no part of which shall be suspended that is mentioned in B&P 25658 is the "Base" fine... You're looking at multiples of that after adding the statutory penalties and assessments. You can contact the court clerk for the exact amount.

While I'm not seeing any jail time in connection with this charge, I would still consult with an attorney if I were you.

Adith

How's it goin KRST. The same exact thing happened to me. On Jun 17th I fell in sting operation done by the cop.

i'm guessing you already started handling it. I haven't decided to go with a lawyer yet. Did you? any info you could give me about what you've gone through so far would be awesome. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">