• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Communication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JhaganKY

In Kentucky or anywhere for that matter if I contact a Lawyer and talk to them via phone or person to see if they will represent me and they decide not to can the lawyer talk about the case to anyone (including DA) I have talked with several lawyers and am not getting anywhere with reprsentation but I am worried that me contacting several lawyers they are talking and its making the case worse.

Okie Girl

Bill

In Kentucky or anywhere for that matter if I contact a Lawyer and talk to them via phone or person to see if they will represent me and they decide not to can the lawyer talk about the case to anyone (including DA) I have talked with several lawyers and am not getting anywhere with reprsentation but I am worried that me contacting several lawyers they are talking and its making the case worse.
Unless the attorney can bill someone for their time, they have no interest in discussing your case.

JhaganKY

Unless the attorney can bill someone for their time, they have no interest in discussing your case.
I am talking more about is it unethical for them to een speak to anyone; I called and spoke with these lawyers and I have the fear that there is communication abut the case (laughing, or warning)

Mass_Shyster

Yes, it would be unethical for the lawyer to discuss it.

See http://www.kybar.org/documents/scr/scr3/scr_3.130_(1.18).pdf

RULES OF THE SUPREME COURT OF KENTUCKY
PRACTICE OF LAW
SCR 3.130(1.18) Duties to prospective client
(a) A person who discusses with a lawyer the possibility of forming a client-lawyer relationship with respect to a matter is a prospective client.

(b) Even when no client-lawyer relationship ensues, a lawyer who has had discussions with a prospective client shall not use or reveal information learned in the consultation, except as Rule 1.9 would permit with respect to information of a former client.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">