• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession Charge/ Possible Plea Agreement - TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorriedDad508

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My son was at a friend's apartment when the police entered on a probable cause to search for drugs on the premises. The "friend" was not present but 3 other associates were. A pipe containing residue of Crystal Meth (but no seperate drugs were found) was found in a drawer and all 4 present were arrested for possession.

My son (age 24) was released on bail approximately 24hr after the arrest. While in jail, he was interviewed by the police without a lawyer present. He was tested for drugs through a blood test and was negative. He cooperated with the police and refered them to at least 2 suspected local drug dealers. The police and DA made statements offering some kind of reduced sentence (probation only) for his cooperation but my son was vague about exactly what was offered and no paperwork was signed (or at least none that we know of). He claims to have been offered a guaranteed 5 yr probabtion with no jail time.

My son claims he had no knowledge of the pipe. Although he knows of the drug dealers, he has disassociated himself from these people after incidents he had when he was a minor. He also claims that his "friend" put his name down as the lessor on the apartment (without my son's knowledge), which concerns me greatly.

The police and DA want another interview today where this agreement is to be signed. I am greatly concerned about signing some agreement that I have not read and do not know what the terms are; I don't think my son realises the consequences of this either. To me, it seems the DA wants to "railroad" my son into admitting to being a felon which could possibly ruin his future. This, for an action my son did not commit and had no knowledge of.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My son was at a friend's apartment when the police entered on a probable cause to search for drugs on the premises. The "friend" was not present but 3 other associates were. A pipe containing residue of Crystal Meth (but no seperate drugs were found) was found in a drawer and all 4 present were arrested for possession.

My son (age 24) was released on bail approximately 24hr after the arrest. While in jail, he was interviewed by the police without a lawyer present. He was tested for drugs through a blood test and was negative. He cooperated with the police and refered them to at least 2 suspected local drug dealers. The police and DA made statements offering some kind of reduced sentence (probation only) for his cooperation but my son was vague about exactly what was offered and no paperwork was signed (or at least none that we know of). He claims to have been offered a guaranteed 5 yr probabtion with no jail time.

My son claims he had no knowledge of the pipe. Although he knows of the drug dealers, he has disassociated himself from these people after incidents he had when he was a minor. He also claims that his "friend" put his name down as the lessor on the apartment (without my son's knowledge), which concerns me greatly.

The police and DA want another interview today where this agreement is to be signed. I am greatly concerned about signing some agreement that I have not read and do not know what the terms are; I don't think my son realises the consequences of this either. To me, it seems the DA wants to "railroad" my son into admitting to being a felon which could possibly ruin his future. This, for an action my son did not commit and had no knowledge of.
Do you have a question for the board?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">