• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need understanding about Attorney fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EddieLawStudent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have a basic question about attorney fee. I was reading a case and it mentioned the following: Client will pay Attorneys fees of 35% of any settlement or recovery that Attorney obtains for Client up to 100 days before the date set for trial and 40% of any settlement or recovery that that Attorney obtains for client after that date.Those fees shall be of any settlement or recovery prior to the deduction of any expense or cost ,or the "gross" recovery.

Can someone explain me with an example in dollar amount what the above means? Does this mean the attorney is entitled to get 75% in fees?

Thanks,
Eddie

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have a basic question about attorney fee. I was reading a case and it mentioned the following: Client will pay Attorneys fees of 35% of any settlement or recovery that Attorney obtains for Client up to 100 days before the date set for trial and 40% of any settlement or recovery that that Attorney obtains for client after that date.Those fees shall be of any settlement or recovery prior to the deduction of any expense or cost ,or the "gross" recovery.

Can someone explain me with an example in dollar amount what the above means? Does this mean the attorney is entitled to get 75% in fees?

Thanks,
Eddie
No, if you replace "and" with "or" it will be more clear (although it means the same)

CSO286

Thanks,
Eddie

Is this homework? :rolleyes:

In any event, up to 100 days before trial, if the settlement offer is 100K, clinet agrees to pay atty $35K. After that date, client agreees to pay $40K.

ETA: I missed that bit, Zigner!! Thanks for catching it.

Last edited:

dmcc10880

Gross Settlement: $100,000 (100+ days prior to trial)
Atty Fee (35%): (35,000)
Sub-total: $ 65,000
Atty OOP Costs: $ (5,000) (filing fees, postage, fax, etc.)

Amount to client: $ 60,000

Now within 100 days... apply 40% as atty fees. Atty gets paid in full before client receives a dime. Pretty standard in a contingency fee contract, especially in California.

FYI... your professor comes to this site frequently. :D

EddieLawStudent

Is this homework? :rolleyes:

In any event, up to 100 days before trial, if the settlement offer is 100K, clinet agrees to pay atty $35K. After that date, client agreees to pay $40K.

ETA: I missed that bit, Zigner!! Thanks for catching it.
Thanks for replying... So after that date if the case goes to trial then whatever amount the client gets, he/she is obligated to pay 40% to the atty...correct

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">