• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach a contract? I believe we are being set up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Innermuze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a question that concerns everyone at our workplace. I am employed in a small business (audio recording studio) and we had a client that was most unbearable. However, we did all that we could to make sure his needs were met and even went above and beyond what was necessary to do so.

From day one we found that he would be a problem but we dealt with it. Immediately, he was causing problems with staff and other hired musicians (that he brought in) for no apparent reason. Despite how belligerent he was, we still did our best to fulfill the contract which was an agreement for time spent recording and mixing his album and with the quality in which we are known to do so.

During the time, he constantly created complications and errors on his part that took up purchased time, and he even got into an argument with a staff member. Actions were taken to remove the employee (termination) so that even that would be smooth from there and nothing further escalated.

Out of nowhere (most likely realizing that he didn't have any talent and constantly made excuses for it) he just walked out. He left with time remaining and we heard from him the next day claiming that he was going to sue our business due to breach of contract, but there was no such action on our part. We even tried to negotiate with him claiming that we can reserve the time that he has prepaid for later use by himself, or we could refund the difference, but he would not listen. Just today, we finally heard from him that he is taking action against us.

Is there any way that it can be proven that we are innocent and most likely being set up? He is trying to file for $150K which is highly exaggerated considering at most his expenses would have only been 10% of that at most.

I thought best to see what advice you might have as well as looking for legal counsel.

I was thinking that if he would even consult with a facilitator we could get it agreed upon that we could refund the difference, but I don't believe that he will go for that since he seems that he had all of this in mind from the start.

Thanks for any and all help.

J

dmcc10880

Just send him back the amount remaining on his pre-paid time along with what ever recordings your in possession of with a letter stating that he is not welcome at your studio now and in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">