• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gym contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srayvette

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Simple question. I signed up for a gym membership over 3 years ago and the contract states that I need to give 90 days notice to cancel. Since a gym contract in NJ can only be for 3 years, do I still need to provide the 90 day notice?

Thanks for any advice!

justalayman

do you have a code number that supports your contention that gym contracts are limited to 3 years?

does the original contract have a self renewing clause?

swalsh411

Since a gym contract in NJ can only be for 3 years, do I still need to provide the 90 day notice?
While it may be true that the maximum contract is 3 years, it is certainly not the "only" length the contract can be. Regardless I don't see what this has to do with the requirement to give 90 day notice before canceling.

sandyclaus

does the original contract have a self renewing clause?
Exactly my question.

Usually I find that when there is this type of notice requirement, it would indicate that there is an automatic renewal clause. That would mean that at least 90 days' advance written notice of intent to terminate is required in order to prevent that contract from automatically renewing for another term period.

Even if there is something in the law that limits the contract to 3 years, with an automatic renewal clause, it doesn't increase the term of the contract. It simply creates a NEW contract for another term period to commence at the end of the expiring term period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">