• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marijuana and alcohol possession.. what does it mean if it gets dismissed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexm544

Virginia

Hi guys, I'm new to this website and tried searching for this but didn't find anything that answered my question.. Anyway, I got caught in the VCU dorms with weed and alcohol and got a Possession of Marijuana charge and a Possession of Alcohol underage charge. I got a lawyer and already had my arraignment, and my trial will be this upcoming wednesday.

My lawyer told me he'd get my case dismissed as long as I don't mess up while I'll be on probation.. My question to you guys (since he didn't really give me a clear answer) is what exactly 'dismissed' means? Does that mean it's like it never happened? And on job applications, when it says "Have you been convicted of a felony in the last 7-10 years?" do I have to answer that question with a 'yes'?

Any help would be ridiculously appreciated!!

Best,
Alex

Virginia

Hi guys, I'm new to this website and tried searching for this but didn't find anything that answered my question.. Anyway, I got caught in the VCU dorms with weed and alcohol and got a Possession of Marijuana charge and a Possession of Alcohol underage charge. I got a lawyer and already had my arraignment, and my trial will be this upcoming wednesday.

My lawyer told me he'd get my case dismissed as long as I don't mess up while I'll be on probation.. My question to you guys (since he didn't really give me a clear answer) is what exactly 'dismissed' means? Does that mean it's like it never happened? And on job applications, when it says "Have you been convicted of a felony in the last 7-10 years?" do I have to answer that question with a 'yes'?

Best,
Alex

Schools is for learning, not getting your brain fried. Seriously, do you College kids think drugs make one more attractive and desireable? Sheesh!!!

Even though your case was dismissed, it is still on record.

My fingers did the walking for you (Thank me!)

How to Expunge a Dismissed Case in Virginia | eHow.com

alexm544

Schools is for learning, not getting your brain fried. Seriously, do you College kids think drugs make one more attractive and desireable? Sheesh!!!

Even though your case was dismissed, it is still on record.

My fingers did the walking for you (Thank me!)

thanks for your help :) as far as why college kids think drugs make one more attractive.. i've been smoking weed habitually since i was 15 years old. i'm in school to be an urban planner and my gpa is at a solid 3.7 right now. i don't really see why people have this perception that everybody who smokes it fits in the stereotype of a "pothead." :rolleyes:

dave33

Virginia

Best,
Alex

Dismissed means that the charges have been dropped. It also means that you answer "no" if asked about any convictions. It does not sound as though
these charges would have been a felony anyway.

I have a question.... Why did you mention probation? If the charges are dismissed than no probation is required. goodluck.

I have a question.... Why did you mention probation? If the charges are dismissed than no probation is required. goodluck.
I don't think it's actual "probation."

I believe Virginia has some version of ACOD (Adjournment in Contemplation Of Dismissal).

In this instance, the defendant's case is adjourned and the defendant is released on his own recognizance. If the defendant conforms to the conditions of the adjournment, the original charges are dismissed. If the defendant is naughty and gets caught, the DA can pursue both the new charges and the original charges.

Last edited:

dave33

I don't think it's actual "probation."

I believe Virginia has some version of ACOD (Adjournment in Contemplation Of Dismissal).

In this instance, the defendant's case is adjourned and the defendant is released on his own recognizance. If the defendant conforms to the conditions of the adjournment, the original charges are dismissed. If the defendant is naughty and gets caught, the DA can pursue both the new charges and the original charges.
Gotcha, you are almost certainly right.

Alexm, The deal is most likely your best bet. But, you should go over in
DETAIL exactly what will be expected. Ask your lawyer to be specific in
explaining the things you must do to be in compliance. Often there are
things you never expected. gpoodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">