• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I sold a car, now the new onwer wants their money back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

march3012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In Illinois.

I sold a 1996 Honda civic with over 200,000 miles for 900 dollars, which is way below the book value. The owner contacted me and stated that the tranny is no good, and they want their money back (not in those exact words). Below is what I said in the cragslist, and I clearly stated that it had a new clutch put in sometime in October 2010. I put ten thousand miles on it before I sold it. I was happy to sell a good working car cheap to them as they are poor and really needed a car. However, I feel that I should not be responsible as it was working fine before I sold it. I just feel real bad. What should I do?

I sold the car on April 9, 2011.

Below is what I put on cragslist.

For sale is a 1996 Honda Civic LX – 5 spd manual
I will remove this ad when the car is sold.

FYI. The car has not been cleaned.

Great car and I was planning to keep it for few more years, but the A/C quit working. I cannot stand to drive a car without A/C, so I chose to sell it than fix it. I have no idea what’s wrong with it, the clutch is not engaging in the A/C. There could be a leak, bad switch or a bad safety valve. The engine is running very strong, but the oil does need to be top off once every two month.

After checking the prices on other Civics with similar mileage and ages, I want $900 dollar cash firm. I hate the hassle of negotiating, so I set the price below what others are asking. If you come with $899.99, I won’t accept it, so don’t waste my time as I am being upfront about all the problems with it.

I have the title in hand.

5 spd Manual
1.6 non v-tec motor
237,XXX miles
Power Windows
Power Locks
A/C – Broken
CD Player
Dual front air bags.

Recent work Done.
New front brake pad less than a thousand miles on it.
Brake fluid was flushed few months ago.
New clutch, throw bearings, and pilot bearings in October 2010.
New exhaust system about a year ago.
Tune up and new coil about two years ago.

Problems.
A/C does not work.
The volume switch on the stock radio does not work.
The power switch for the rear right window does not work from the driver control. It works fine from the rear right door itself.
The rear left door cannot be open due to broken door handle. I have the new door handle if you wish to repair it yourself.
Typical rust ar the rear tire well. See picture.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In Illinois.

I sold a 1996 Honda civic with over 200,000 miles for 900 dollars, which is way below the book value. The owner contacted me and stated that the tranny is no good, and they want their money back (not in those exact words). Below is what I said in the cragslist, and I clearly stated that it had a new clutch put in sometime in October 2010. I put ten thousand miles on it before I sold it. They are poor, and I was so proud of selling them a car cheaper that they so needed, but I feel that I should not be responsible as it was working fine before I sold it. I just feel real bad. What should I do?

I sold the car on April 9, 2011.

Below is what I put on cragslist.

For sale is a 1996 Honda Civic LX – 5 spd manual
I will remove this ad when the car is sold.

FYI. The car has not been cleaned.

Great car and I was planning to keep it for few more years, but the A/C quit working. I cannot stand to drive a car without A/C, so I chose to sell it than fix it. I have no idea what’s wrong with it, the clutch is not engaging in the A/C. There could be a leak, bad switch or a bad safety valve. The engine is running very strong, but the oil does need to be top off once every two month.

After checking the prices on other Civics with similar mileage and ages, I want $900 dollar cash firm. I hate the hassle of negotiating, so I set the price below what others are asking. If you come with $899.99, I won’t accept it, so don’t waste my time as I am being upfront about all the problems with it.

I have the title in hand.

5 spd Manual
1.6 non v-tec motor
237,XXX miles
Power Windows
Power Locks
A/C – Broken
CD Player
Dual front air bags.

Recent work Done.
New front brake pad less than a thousand miles on it.
Brake fluid was flushed few months ago.
New clutch, throw bearings, and pilot bearings in October 2010.
New exhaust system about a year ago.
Tune up and new coil about two years ago.

Problems.
A/C does not work.
The volume switch on the stock radio does not work.
The power switch for the rear right window does not work from the driver control. It works fine from the rear right door itself.
The rear left door cannot be open due to broken door handle. I have the new door handle if you wish to repair it yourself.
Typical rust ar the rear tire well. See picture.
Tell them to enjoy their new car.:)

The phrase in your ad: I am being upfront about all the problems with it

Maybe a guarantee of no other problems?

A small claims judge may stretch it ...

You don't say why the buyer wishes to return it .. so I cannot answer further.

End communication.

sandyclaus

If the buyer wanted to know for sure what was and was not wrong with the vehicle before they plunked down their $900, then they needed to bring their mechanic to inspect the car before they spent their money and sealed the deal.

Most private party used vehicles are sold AS-IS. Unless you provided a WRITTEN guarantee or warranty of fitness, then you are pretty much protected.

IMHO, with a 200,000 mile vehicle, I most definitely would have a mechanic look over it first. Lots of things go wrong with older vehicles at the most inopportune moments, when you least expect it. The new owner's fault for not exercising their due diligence when it came to thoroughly checking the car out.

Tell them to pound sand and enjoy their new car. If they threaten legal action, LET THEM. Unless they can provide WRITTEN proof that you said that tranny was in perfect condition, their claim will probably be tossed right out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">