• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FAFSA and drug posession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ImLawn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I am filling out my FAFSA (federal student aid) and there is a question that asks if I have been convicted of possession or distribution of drugs.
I was given a ticket for a possession of marijuana back in October that I was not guilty of and intended on appealing it, but I didn't have a copy of the citation with all of the info like citation number, what information they had put on it, etc. I contacted the courthouse and told them my information (name, address, etc) and they told me that I didn't have any charges in their system and I assumed that it simply hadn't been filed with the court, I had waited longer than 10 days to call about the appeal and I haven't received any kind of notification about the charge.

Now that I am filling out my FAFSA and a question like this comes up it makes me nervous. It states that if you have been CONVICTED of possession of drugs. The officer told me he was writing me a citation for possession of marijuana, and I told him I had every intent on appealing it (there was no use arguing with him about it), and I am fairly certain that I was simply not charged for the crime or they would have contacted me somehow or had that information when I asked them initially. I intend on contacting the court house tomorrow and find exactly who to talk to about appeals/citations/etc and see if there was ever anything related to this in their system.

I am mostly concerned about my financial aid. Is there any way that this could have somehow slipped by and I was charged or convicted of this crime without ever receiving or paying a fine, or given a chance to appeal?
If I was charged for this who do I contact at the courthouse to find out, and would there be any way to appeal a charge that happened over 6 months ago?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

The question was whether you were ever CONVICTED. You don't appeal things before conviction and your "intent" means squat.

The question was did the ticket ever make it into the system. If so, and you didn't deal with it, you most likely due have a conviction entered with
the fine delinquent. You need to go back and check with the court for the status as you should have been doing periodically as you were intending to fight (I assume rather than appeal) the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">