• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft deterrent device?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slr68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

hi. after purchasing a used vehicle from a car lot, i was going over the contract and noticed i was charged $300.00 for a theft deterrent device. i called and asked the sales person what it was due to not having any kind of alarm installed. he then stated it was a lo jack. my question is this: how would i know if something like that was really installed? i think i was charged for something that i didn't receive. there must be a way other than calling and reporting it stolen (which i would never do) to find out. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

You can't assume the OP financed through that dealership.

I wouldn't waste my time crawling around your car looking for the thing. I have seen them hidden in some very clever places. Ask the dealer where they installed it on the vehicle. And next time read the contract before signing it.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

hi. after purchasing a used vehicle from a car lot, i was going over the contract and noticed i was charged $300.00 for a theft deterrent device. i called and asked the sales person what it was due to not having any kind of alarm installed. he then stated it was a lo jack. my question is this: how would i know if something like that was really installed? i think i was charged for something that i didn't receive. there must be a way other than calling and reporting it stolen (which i would never do) to find out. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If they installed the device as they claim, you will need to register the unit with LoJack. The dealer should provide you all of the required information in a New Owner Welcome Kit or Registration Card that gives you a unique Registration # that you use to register your product on LoJack's website: https://my.lojack.com/pages/login.aspx.

If the dealer has failed to provide you the information, then the site also has a phone number you can call, and I presume they can search your vehicle or dealer info to see if they can locate the unit.

slr68

theft deterrent

hi. thank you for the right advice. first of all, i will always check the contract first. and i did notify lo jack. after faxing them copies of dr. lic. and veh. reg., they informed me they could not locate any device associated with the vin number. so my next step is to call the salesperson back and see what's going on. what would be the best way to handle this from a legal standpoint? thank you for your input!

xylene

It sound like you got "lo jacked".

Ask the LoJack representative if he can fax or email you some paperwork to the effect of what he said.

Watch the dealer squirm when you show it to him.

They will not admit they were trying to rob you, they will tell you every flim flam... At best they will promptly refund the 300.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">