• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bought car but dealer dosn't have ready to go yet.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strongbus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine.

bought a used car form a dealer on 4/15/11. was told it need to go to shop to be inpsected. Was told it take no more then a week. Went into day to check on it and was told it could be another week cause they are so back up because they have sold so many cars.(found out after that none of the cars on the lot are in a shape to just be drivng off the lot and must go into the shop to be work on in one way or another). Is there anything i can do to get them to speed it up under maine laws?

justalayman

do you still want the car? Are you willing to relinquish the car if they do not hurry up?

If so, unless you have something in your contract that allows a delayed delivery, tell them to either get whatever done and deliver the car or cancel the sale.

strongbus

thanks went to call and found their service number and tryed that number insteed of the sales number. seems that the service deparment is in another location and was told that the sales team don't know anything bout time fram for work. was told to call the service deparment for updates. Seams that the sales team just calls them up tells them they got x car that needs to be looked at and then just waits for an email saying its done while giving the person who bought it some wild guess. Service deparment was nice and said the car i bought had been looked at and the parts to fix it had been order but have not been delivered to them yet. When parts are there the service deparment will give me an real time frame. was told only bout 2 days avg after getting parts.

Don't let it get out of hand.

The used dealer I purchased from kept my van for nearly a month and only did half of the work promised.

Also, make sure you don't leave until you get documentation for anything done to your vehicle, including inspection.

Good luck

The time for insuring at what time the vehicle gets back is long past. You should gotten the time in writing & details of the scenario of what would occur if not completed.

Why they wish to put more money into a sold car is curious. Go get the car if you wish.

end communication

strongbus

been calling ever day and getting the run around mosty just saying it being worked on and such. been looking info up but can't under stand anything. Is there a law saying that cars on a dealers lot should be in drive off shape and not need to go to the dealers shop for reapairs after it is sold(besides as is lots). looking for something to put a fire under their butts to get them going faster.

justalayman

you aren't going to find anything specific. What it comes down to is: you agreed to allow some time to make whatever repairs were needed. The question is; how long must you wait for those repairs to be made.

The answer is: a reasonable amount of time.

so, what is reasonable? Very difficult to define as there are many possibilities that can affect the situation.

given what you have posted so far, I would see the delay as no longer reasonable. In your last post prior, you had spoken to the service department and were told: about 2 days after they get the parts. That was a week ago. So, that gave them 5 days to obtain the parts and 2 days to install. With modern shipping methods, you can get something from the other side of the world in that time. Heck, when I go to a dealer to buy parts, they are often there the next day (and that is when the part was ordered at 3 pm and the actual part they sold me was located over 500 miles away).

To me, I would say they have had enough time unless they have a very good reason as to why they have not completed the work. So, it now comes down to what you want to do. Myself, I would go to the dealership and simply state they either need to explain why they need more time, deliver the vehicle (with whatever repairs were required completed), or rescind the sale.

I'm am not totally rigid most of the time so if they had what sounds like an actual justification, I might continue to wait a very little bit longer but BS is BS.

If they have a reasonable justification, I would pin them down to a day. Basically, I would give them whatever time I determined was reasonable and acceptable to me with the notice that if it cannot be delivered by that time (with all repairs as agreed) to have a check ready and the proper paperwork prepared to cancel the sale.

this communication needs to be with the sales department, not the service department.

Along with the advice that justalayman and others have given, you may get them working a bit faster by going to the shop, request to know what they have already done, and what they still need to do. Request to see your car and speak to the mechanics involved.

You have a right to know what work is being done to your vehicle.

Remember, the dealership exists to make money. Don't let them put your work behind just because they already have your money. That happens all too often with this type of situation.

Good luck.

BL

been calling ever day and getting the run around mosty just saying it being worked on and such. been looking info up but can't under stand anything. Is there a law saying that cars on a dealers lot should be in drive off shape and not need to go to the dealers shop for repairs after it is sold(besides as is lots). looking for something to put a fire under their butts to get them going faster.
http://www.maine.gov/sos/news/usedcar.html[/U]]Buying a Used Vehicle, Secretary of State, Maine

Read through here .

It appears though you did not make sure it had a valid inspection at the time of purchase .

From what you stated it appears the dealer was going to take if for inspection .

I'm not sure if you agreed to purchase the Auto anyways in condition it would not pass inspection after the fact .

You could argue it was supposed to have already been safety inspected at time of purchase ,they may argue you agreed to purchase in the shape it was in .

I think though if they can not prove they had a rejected inspection and what it need to pass inspection ,you have an argument to rescind the deal for refund .

If that's the route you chose to take contact the State authorities about your options .

Buyer Beware :

These fly by the strings used auto dealers are all over the place and only want to repair the bare minimums . They also work in cahoots with unsavory inspections .

I had to report such a dealer and sue for additional repair cost for safety issues .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">