• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejeanezr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Il
Is it legal for a bank to disclose my transaction history to someone who is not authorized on my account?

ejeanezr

I have a savings account at a credit union. There was a check that was returned, before the bank discussed anything with me they disclosed all my informtion on my account to someone else. This person is my grandmother. I never signed any paper saying that she was authorized to make any tranactions on my account or make any decisions on my account. I believe the bank disclosed this information to her as a way to get money from her. They know her very well and they know she will pay off any negative accounts. But the made it seem that if she didn't pay for my account money would be taken from her aaccount. Again we have seperate accounts and her name is not on my account and neither is my name on her account.

Antigone*

I have a savings account at a credit union. There was a check that was returned, before the bank discussed anything with me they disclosed all my informtion on my account to someone else. This person is my grandmother. I never signed any paper saying that she was authorized to make any tranactions on my account or make any decisions on my account. I believe the bank disclosed this information to her as a way to get money from her. They know her very well and they know she will pay off any negative accounts. But the made it seem that if she didn't pay for my account money would be taken from her aaccount. Again we have seperate accounts and her name is not on my account and neither is my name on her account.
Checks cannot be written on savings accounts. Did you deposit a check that had no funds? I suggest you bank somewhere else.:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Checks cannot be written on savings accounts. Did you deposit a check that had no funds? I suggest you bank somewhere else.:rolleyes:
Sure they can -

Just the first Google site turns up a CU that offers check writing against savings (ok, MMA)

https://www.penfed.org/productsandrates/checkingandsavings/moneymarketsavingsaccount.asp

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
An MMA is actually a demand deposit account, not a savings account;). A savings account is a different beast all together.
Yet, there it is in the link I posted, listed as a savings account.

I will give you that, from a purely technical standpoint, "Savings Accounts" do not have checks associated with them. However, from a practical standpoint, people can open a "savings account" that they can access using checks. ;) :)

ETA: See http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/money-market-account-MMA.html for a description. MMA's *are* a type of savings account ;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">