• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

musicalshore

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am involved in a criminal court case. I called an old HS friend who is a bankruptcy lawyer to ask if he could recommend a lawyer. I gave him the details of my case. I later found out that he has been sharing these details with people in my social circle. He is a gossip.

I am not his client, but it just seems unethical that he should be discussing my private business socially. I want to call him and tell him to not share my private business with others or I will write a letter to the Bar Association.

Is he well within his rights to discuss my personal business with others?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am involved in a criminal court case. I called an old HS friend who is a bankruptcy lawyer to ask if he could recommend a lawyer. I gave him the details of my case. I later found out that he has been sharing these details with people in my social circle. He is a gossip.

I am not his client, but it just seems unethical that he should be discussing my private business socially. I want to call him and tell him to not share my private business with others or I will write a letter to the Bar Association.

Is he well within his rights to discuss my personal business with others?

...your personal business failed to remain personal the very second you opened your mouth and talked to your friend about your business.

There was no attorney-client privilege.

Hot Topic

If you knew your old friend was a gossip, why did you discuss something you wanted kept confidential with him? The fault lies with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">