• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bait n Switch Lawyer...Payment Plan...Must I Pay? Please HELP! Thank-you.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jp07083

I hired Lawyer1 from FirmX because he had the charisma, speech, etc, etc of a winner, and I thought with someone like him, I'd get a dismissed case. Well, I paid his outrageous asking price because I wanted the best. I sign for his services, was put on a payment plan where I paid half up front and have two payments left. The thing is, he never even showed up to court, but instead sent his associates to handle my legal preceding. I never signed a contract with the associates. Must I pay?

*Signed Contract with Lawyer1 from Firm for $5000.
*Paid / Received Receipt for $2500.
*Represented by an "Associate" (for First Appearance) and Lawyer2 from same Firm (for Pre-Trial Date {where I accepted a plea}).
*Never Signed Contracts with "Associate" or Lawyer2.

I feel I was "sold" an A+ Lawyer1 and instead delivered a B+ Lawyer2. Given this bait and switch, am I legally obligated to win? Would it be an easy or even likely to be filed case at all? I'm very concerned, because I have a payment due very soon for $1250, and I am not happy with my results or service. If I don't pay, what is the absolute worse he can come back at me with? If he sues me, how much more than the $2500 I owe him would that end up costing me? What are my real options / consequences here? Thanks a million!

I hired Lawyer1 from FirmX because he had the charisma, speech, etc, etc of a winner, and I thought with someone like him, I'd get a dismissed case. Well, I paid his outrageous asking price because I wanted the best. I sign for his services, was put on a payment plan where I paid half up front and have two payments left. The thing is, he never even showed up to court, but instead sent his associates to handle my legal preceding. I never signed a contract with the associates. Must I pay?

*Represented by an "Associate" (for First Appearance) and Lawyer2 from same Firm (for Pre-Trial Date {where I accepted a plea}).

I feel I was "sold" an A+ Lawyer1 and instead delivered a B+ Lawyer2. Given this bait and switch, am I legally obligated to win? Would it be an easy or even likely to be filed case at all? I'm very concerned, because I have a payment due very soon for $1250, and I am not happy with my results or service. If I don't pay, what is the absolute worse he can come back at me with? If he sues me, how much more than the $2500 I owe him would that end up costing me? What are my real options / consequences here? Thanks a million!
Check your contract. It is quite possible that you contracted with the firm and not a specific attorney, in which case they may have reserved the right to use any or the firm's attorneys they saw fit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You aren't happy with the result? Then why did you accept the plea? :rolleyes: YOU accepted the result in court.

jp07083

Check your contract. It is quite possible that you contracted with the firm and not a specific attorney, in which case they may have reserved the right to use any or the firm's attorneys they saw fit.
So, if the contract is specific to the Lawyer, then I don't have to pay? Also, what is the likelihood that these guys would actually take me to court for the other $2500? Lastly, if they did take me to court, can they sue me for their time? I'm not looking for the perfect answer, I just need to understand my options here. I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

jp07083

You aren't happy with the result? Then why did you accept the plea? :rolleyes: YOU accepted the result in court.
1) I was advised by "Lawyer2" to accept the deal that "Lawyer1" "supposedly" set-up.
2) I only accepted it because I was scared ****less of an alternative. Plus, I did not want a pissed off lawyer representing me, and they already had $2500 of my money from day 1 so firing them was out of the question.
3) I see you have lots of posts, and you're probably an asset here, but you need to drop your judgmental attitude. You don't know my situation, my thoughts, my life, and using a "rolleyes" smiley proves what a sarcastic prick you are being.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1) I was advised by "Lawyer2" to accept the deal that "Lawyer1" "supposedly" set-up.
2) I only accepted it because I was scared ****less of an alternative. Plus, I did not want a pissed off lawyer representing me, and they already had $2500 of my money from day 1 so firing them was out of the question.
3) I see you have lots of posts, and you're probably an asset here, but you need to drop your judgmental attitude. You don't know my situation, my thoughts, my life, and using a "rolleyes" smiley proves what a sarcastic prick you are being.
I know what you posted. If you wanted more concise information, you should have presented us with a more concise post.

Congratulations on your conviction...even with my large number of posts, you've got me beat on that!

dmcc10880

Yes, a certain someone can be a wiener even on Easter, but you're the one here asking for help, you didn't get the answer that you wanted, now you're all uppity. :rolleyes: Yes. I rolled eyes.

Fact is, you likely contracted with the firm. Your "top gun" probably spoke to the DA to work a deal. Associate for first appearance? Don't need "top gun" to enter a plea. Associate for pre-trial conference? If the deal was done, it doesn't take an ace to enter your guilty plea.

Fact again is, you accepted your plea deal. Now you don't want to pay? Tell you what.... don't pay. Expect to see your "top gun" in court to sue you for your balance + interest + court costs.

ERAUPIKE

A few questions,

Why do you assume his prices were outrageous?

What exactly were you charged with?

What led you to believe that hiring this attorney would result in a dismissal of your charges?

Why do you assume that the lawyer that provided you with a service sent anyone less qualified than he was?

swalsh411

If the case against you was so weak that you felt for sure you would get a dismissal, why did you agree to a plea? That makes no sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">