• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic ruined the engine on auto while out road testing; are they liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgspring

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I took my 2002 auto into a local mechanic and told him it wasn't running well and stated the issues. They took the car for a ride and then did their review in the shop and they called me to tell me what needed to be done. They told me it needed new service packs/coils/sparkplugs and whatever else goes along with that. They did the work and said it was ready to go as soon as they took it out for a test drive. During the test drive, they ruined the motor. They've determined a bolt fell out of the motor somewhere which lead to a series of events that ruined the engine. They state they have no liability for this because it wasn't related to the work they did. Is that correct? How do I know they didn't miss this problem or cause this problem before they took it back out for the final test drive? It seems as though they would have to carry insurance for this type of problem. They've estimated it will cost $4,600-$5,800 to repair.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I took my 2002 auto into a local mechanic and told him it wasn't running well and stated the issues. They took the car for a ride and then did their review in the shop and they called me to tell me what needed to be done. They told me it needed new service packs/coils/sparkplugs and whatever else goes along with that. They did the work and said it was ready to go as soon as they took it out for a test drive. During the test drive, they ruined the motor. They've determined a bolt fell out of the motor somewhere which lead to a series of events that ruined the engine. They state they have no liability for this because it wasn't related to the work they did. Is that correct? How do I know they didn't miss this problem or cause this problem before they took it back out for the final test drive? It seems as though they would have to carry insurance for this type of problem. They've estimated it will cost $4,600-$5,800 to repair.
If the problem occurred and was not related to their work, why should they be responsible?

swalsh411

I find it highly questionable that a completely unrelated bolt "fell out somewhere" of the motor for the few miles that the mechanic who just performed extensive work on the engine was test driving. What a fantastic coincidence. Frankly that sounds like the kind of explanation they would give to a little old lady who didn't know anything about cars.

The OP should get a second opinion from a different mechanic of exactly what happened, specifically looking for "bolts that fell out". He would have to pay this person but the findings could be valuable in small claims court.

Zigner

I find it highly questionable that a completely unrelated bolt "fell out somewhere" of the motor for the few miles that the mechanic who just performed extensive work on the engine was test driving. What a fantastic coincidence. Frankly that sounds like the kind of explanation they would give to a little old lady who didn't know anything about cars.

The OP should get a second opinion from a different mechanic of exactly what happened, specifically looking for "bolts that fell out". He would have to pay this person but the findings could be valuable in small claims court.
Plugs and coil packs do not amount to "extensive work on the engine".

ETA: Of course, I do agree that the OP needs to get the vehicle to somebody for a second opinion.

tgspring

Because I took the car in to a professional service provider, told them it wasn't running well, asked them to repair the motor and in the process, it ends up ruined? It doesn't seem fair that a service provider can take something in possession and ruin it while in their possesion and have no liability.

Zigner

Because I took the car in to a professional service provider, told them it wasn't running well, asked them to repair the motor and in the process, it ends up ruined? It doesn't seem fair that a service provider can take something in possession and ruin it while in their possesion and have no liability.
The other side of the coin is that it's entirely possible that your (nearly) 10 year old engine was in the process of giving up the ghost and the repairs the mechanic did had NOTHING to do with that. Plug and coils wouldn't affect the main bearing in your motor or the rods, etc.

sandyclaus

The other side of the coin is that it's entirely possible that your (nearly) 10 year old engine was in the process of giving up the ghost and the repairs the mechanic did had NOTHING to do with that. Plug and coils wouldn't affect the main bearing in your motor or the rods, etc.
I totally agree. The work that was done had nothing to do with removing bolts in the engine. 10 year old engines, depending on how they were treated and maintained over the years, can certainly give out suddenly like that.

Of course, that could just be the story that the mechanic gave her and it could be something that the mechanic intentionally did to damage the engine so they could be the ones to fix it. Definitely an outside opinion is needed to determine EXACTLY what happened to the engine and what or who could have caused it. Only then will OP have a clear understanding of the problem and a direction in which to go for her next move.

Tough situation. I avoid this by having my tools being the only one to touch my cars.

In reality, it would be impossible to prove that the mechanic damaged the engine even if he did.

justalayman

but the question is: did they ruin the engine?

What bolt fell out and how did it cause total destruction of your engine? If it was a bolt they had removed to do the work they did and failed to reinstall it properly, then yes, they are at fault. If they did nothing with this bolt, nothing they did caused the damage.

but the question is: did they ruin the engine?

What bolt fell out and how did it cause total destruction of your engine? If it was a bolt they had removed to do the work they did and failed to reinstall it properly, then yes, they are at fault. If they did nothing with this bolt, nothing they did caused the damage.

Better question is: did they ruin the engine & would the OP have the evidence to prove it.

I see a judge saying "not guilty"...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">