• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Furniture Store Layaway Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cj7311

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I went to a furniture store and put a furniture set on layaway. On the layaway policy it says: No refunds on layaways after 10 days. You must make payments every 14 days to keep accout active. Any layaway without payment over 30 days, subject to surcharge of $10.00 per month. Layaway customers must give 3 to 4 week notice prior to desired date of merchandise pick-up. Failure to stay current could result in substitute merchandise.

I put a layaway in on the mar 1 for $20.00. I went back in March 17th and put $266.00 more down. They called me on two different occasions that they had some new furniture in and wanted me to come take a look at it, which neither time I was satisfied with the furniture. The 2nd time they called me in I asked one of the employees were they going to be able to get my furniture in he said no because the distributor that's out of milwaukee ran out of fabric to make the furniture and because of the wars that's going on oversees they couldn't get the fabric shipped. Prior to this the 1st time they called me to come in and look at some new furniture the owner was in and I told him that I wanted my furniture on the 15th of April. He assured me that it would be here and it's still not here and they still have my $286.00. After calling for a week straight I finally got to speak with the owner he got mad because I told him he was not a very good business owner and he said I wasn't getting my money back because I signed a contract. And I explained to him how do you think you can keep someone money after they did what they contract asked of them but you can't suppy the furniture. He feel like since he has furniture similar to the one I picked out he has a right to keep the furniture and like I told him you can't make a person buy some furniture there not happy with. So can you please help me

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I went to a furniture store and put a furniture set on layaway. On the layaway policy it says: No refunds on layaways after 10 days. You must make payments every 14 days to keep accout active. Any layaway without payment over 30 days, subject to surcharge of $10.00 per month. Layaway customers must give 3 to 4 week notice prior to desired date of merchandise pick-up. Failure to stay current could result in substitute merchandise.

I put a layaway in on the mar 1 for $20.00. I went back in March 17th and put $266.00 more down. They called me on two different occasions that they had some new furniture in and wanted me to come take a look at it, which neither time I was satisfied with the furniture. The 2nd time they called me in I asked one of the employees were they going to be able to get my furniture in he said no because the distributor that's out of milwaukee ran out of fabric to make the furniture and because of the wars that's going on oversees they couldn't get the fabric shipped. Prior to this the 1st time they called me to come in and look at some new furniture the owner was in and I told him that I wanted my furniture on the 15th of April. He assured me that it would be here and it's still not here and they still have my $286.00. After calling for a week straight I finally got to speak with the owner he got mad because I told him he was not a very good business owner and he said I wasn't getting my money back because I signed a contract. And I explained to him how do you think you can keep someone money after they did what they contract asked of them but you can't suppy the furniture. He feel like since he has furniture similar to the one I picked out he has a right to keep the furniture and like I told him you can't make a person buy some furniture there not happy with. So can you please help me
March 1st to March 17th is more than 14 days...

justalayman

March 1st to March 17th is more than 14 days...
but they cannot deliver the furniture the OP contracted to purchase.

The 2nd time they called me in I asked one of the employees were they going to be able to get my furniture in he said no because the distributor that's out of milwaukee ran out of fabric to make the furniture and because of the wars that's going on oversees they couldn't get the fabric shipped.
If they cannot deliver the furniture you contracted to purchase, they cannot refuse to refund your payments made.

so, call their bluff: tell them you will be in to pick up the furniture you ordered in 4 weeks time. If it is there, pay for it. If it isn't, hold out your hand for your refund. If they refuse, head to the courthouse and file a suit to recover your money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">