• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged signature on vehicle finance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imposter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I purchased a car exactly two months ago today from a used dealership in town. Yesterday, it started having transmission issues, so I contacted the dealer and asked them to look at it. The car came with a 3 month warranty on its engine and transmission and I agreed to and signed an extended warranty for three years. My roommate was present when the extended warranty offer was presented to me as well as when I signed it.

I called the dealership who stated they do not see a record of my extended warranty on file and they want $70 just to look at it, which will go to waste if it is an issue they choose not to cover. I stated I would bring in documentation of my extended warranty, as they gave me all my papers to keep as a record.

As I was going through my papers, I realized that on my finance plan agreement, "my" signature is a blatant forgery; my name is even spelled incorrectly.

I am wondering what my next step should be and if I have any legal recourse regarding my forged signature. My concern is that if they have done it once, they would not hesitate to do it again on other papers I may not even be aware exist.

Thank you for reading.

swalsh411

Did you sign that same finance agreement? If so then you did agree to those terms so you have no recourse. it's just not your signature on that particular document.

If you never were presented with or signed a finance agreement, then you are too inexperienced to be buying a car on your own.

If you signed one agreement and this agreement with the forged signature is materially different then you may have recourse if you have been harmed.

imposter

According to my papers, I hadn't signed a finance agreement at all. I signed some other papers, one for an extended warranty, another for the 3 month warranty & the title for the new car. The finance papers were not signed by me. My signature was forged on those.

Last edited:

swalsh411

So what do you want exactly? Have you made any payments? Are those the financing terms you agreed to or did they alter it? You're not getting a free car out of this if that is what you are wondering. What did the dealer say when you contacted them? And why did you not review the paperwork before leaving with the vehicle?

imposter

I'm not looking for a free car. I actually love my car, that's why I picked it out. I had someone with me when I signed all of the papers presented to me, and while I admit I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to purchasing a car, forging my signature on documents is still against the law, no matter what my knowledge of that particular area is.

I reviewed the papers I signed, but didn't receive them until almost a month after I signed them. The dealership called me at a later time to pick up the spare key, the papers and the title. I'd never purchased a car from a dealership before, hence me taking someone with me.

My main concern is that I didn't agree to the finance terms, as evidenced by the fact that my signature is forged on the financial papers. I am also worried that if they forged my name on those papers and are now claiming the extended warranty they offered me and that I signed with my roommate present does not exist, that they may have forged other documents I may not even be aware exist.

I'm coming here to see if there's something I should be doing before I pursue this any further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">