• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Allowed to sell Airline and CC miles???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djnimon

What is the legality of selling credit card points and airline miles in the U.S.? The airlines do not allow it and say that it is included in the cardmember agreement, and I have heard that if they find out then they will cancel the credit card and/or mileage account.

The thing is that I see advertisements for selling and buying miles, so I'm thinking: "How can something be illegal, yet be advertised so openly?"

I don't want to do anything illegal, but I would love to convert my large amount of miles and points into actual dollars.

Any advice?

racer72

From a legal standpoint, one can advertise to sell anything. Want to sell that pound of coke in your closet by advertising on a billboard? Perfectly legal. It's the possession and selling of the product that will get you in trouble. In the case of credit card points and airline miles, that is strictly company policy to restrict the sale of these items. Nothing at all illegal to do that.

djnimon

thanks for the advice. Is it a breach of contract to sell the miles when the card member agreement does not allow it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">