• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jail time alternative to probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seeemilyplay

Iowa.
I am being charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. I spoke with my lawyer on wed 4/27 and told him that I had planned on moving out of state and would like to take an option that allows me to do so. He said I could either try for deferred judgement and get 6-8 months probation (which would not likely allow me to transfer my probation to PA), or plead guilty and take jail time (likely 2 days, but up to 6 months). I'm 18 years old and this is my first offense, I have never been in any other kind of trouble. I want to know if I will still have to be on probation even if I do plead guilty. I really just want to move on with my life, the arrest scared the s*** out of me and I have and will not smoke again. I know a conviction will cause me to have a difficult time finding a job and housing, but I also know that it's not impossible especially if I start rebuilding my life as soon as possible.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

In moments, like these, we will always defer to the attorney. They are more likely to know the climate of your court.

From my understanding, it's a jail sentence OR probation, not jail AND probation.

Iowa.
I am being charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. I spoke with my lawyer on wed 4/27 and told him that I had planned on moving out of state and would like to take an option that allows me to do so. He said I could either try for deferred judgement and get 6-8 months probation (which would not likely allow me to transfer my probation to PA), or plead guilty and take jail time (likely 2 days, but up to 6 months). I'm 18 years old and this is my first offense, I have never been in any other kind of trouble. I want to know if I will still have to be on probation even if I do plead guilty. I really just want to move on with my life, the arrest scared the s*** out of me and I have and will not smoke again. I know a conviction will cause me to have a difficult time finding a job and housing, but I also know that it's not impossible especially if I start rebuilding my life as soon as possible.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Would a deferred judgment keep this off as being a conviction? Then delay your move a couple of months ... you'll appreciate your patience later in life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">