• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to keep federal education funding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjammin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
WISCONSIN

Hello.

I was just informed a family member has been arrested for sale of a small amount of a controlled substance, along with resisting/obstructing police. He has no prior convictions and has never been suspected of, or investigated for any crimes. In short, he is not a drug dealer. At this point I'm not certain of the circumstances of his arrest, but from what I can gather I believe he was at an event where large amounts of drug-related stings where taking place and made the mistake of selling a portion of his stash (designated for his personal use) to the wrong inquirer. Allegedly.

He is currently still in jail and will be until tomorrow at which time he will undergo further processing (during business hours) before being eligible to make bail.

My question, first, is whether there is anything that can be done to expedite his release?

Second, he is currently a college student. Is there anyway, were he to in some manner admit guilt, for him to enter in an agreement whereby he is allowed to keep his federal education benefits that would normally be revoked under the Aid Elimination Provision of the "Higher Education Act"? Possibly by making some type of restitution ($$) if necessary?

If someone could reply as soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it. Not to pull on heartstrings, but this is a good kid who made a boneheaded mistake. He has a bright future and this could really mess it all up. I would be indebted to any advice I can get on his behalf.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:

bjammin

Update

I have been informed that the circumstances were not a sting, reverse buy, etc. Instead, the reason he was charged with sale was the quantity he was in possession of. He made the error of taking his entire stash out on the town with him. Allegedly.

bjammin

No, I was referring to pleaing down the charge in a way that would carry with it a fine or some other method of restitution, such as community service or a treatment program, as a means of bargaining to have his record not reflect the incident in a manner that penalizes him under the Aid Elimination Provision of the Higher Education Act.

Last edited:

ERAUPIKE

No, I was referring to pleaing down the charge in a way that would carry with it a fine or some other method of restitution, such as community service or a treatment program, as a means of bargaining to have his record not reflect the incident in a manner that penalizes him under the Aid Elimination Provision of the Higher Education Act.
I would recommend you hire a lawyer for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">