• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annuity Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AllOut123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My lawyer informed me that it was in my best intrest due to taxes to not know the amount that was invested in the insurance company for my annutiy. I recieved a settlement from an injury claim and was never told the amount of money involved, so I do not know how much the laywer took, nor how much I "recieved". I never recieved ANY paperwork, how do I obtain information if my lawyer will not give me any. It has been 8 years, and again, I have no literal proof or information. Do you think my lawyer is "cheating" me or hiding something. Also, if It helps, I am on a structured settlement.

Thank you.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My lawyer informed me that it was in my best intrest due to taxes to not know the amount that was invested in the insurance company for my annutiy. I recieved a settlement from an injury claim and was never told the amount of money involved, so I do not know how much the laywer took, nor how much I "recieved". I never recieved ANY paperwork, how do I obtain information if my lawyer will not give me any. It has been 8 years, and again, I have no literal proof or information. Do you think my lawyer is "cheating" me or hiding something. Also, if It helps, I am on a structured settlement.

Thank you.

If this situation has gone on for eight years, it's waaaaaaay too late for you to expect sympathy. Your ignorance is your fault.

The first you need to do is demand that your lawyer provide you with the information you don't have. Tell him to send it to you via certified mail, return receipt requested. Give him 10 days to send it. If he doesn't comply, report him to your state Bar.

Then hire another attorney and have him review the information. You may be able to take legal action against the first attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">