• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old first offense UPM help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reallyscrewed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

So im 16 years old, and today i was charged with UPM for the first time:(. i was in a car with 2 of my buddies, the driver has a court date and alot of charges, another one of my friends who's admitted to having a bag and gave it to them and he was let off the hook no charges at all cause i guess hes 15. i had no marijuana on me, they searched all my belongings, everything around me and found nothing. i never admitted to smoking any weed i avoided the question and said why am i being charged for posession when i didnt posess any? The cop simply replied "you were sitting in a car with marijuana, you either take this ticket or I throw you in county jail." The driver of the car had a bowl, a bag or marijuana and a scale. I plan on bringing my 19 year old brother with me to court and im planning on pleading not guilty cause i really dont want anything on my record or have any charges. any advice on how i can get a ACD. i dont intend on telling my parents because im not tryna die :D. so no i will not get a lawyer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swrdmbo

You're making a very big mistake by not getting your parents involved.
If this goes the wrong way for you it could have far reaching and serious implications.

Your 19 year old brother doesn't know the law either.

I don't understand how it is that your parents have not been notified. You are seriously asking for so much more trouble if you try to handle this alone, and without an attorney.

The only good thing about trying to do this alone is when you end up really screwed you will have no-one to blame except yourself.

Also, won't the court require you to show up with a parent?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

So im 16 years old, and today i was charged with UPM for the first time:(. i was in a car with 2 of my buddies, the driver has a court date and alot of charges, another one of my friends who's admitted to having a bag and gave it to them and he was let off the hook no charges at all cause i guess hes 15. i had no marijuana on me, they searched all my belongings, everything around me and found nothing. i never admitted to smoking any weed i avoided the question and said why am i being charged for posession when i didnt posess any? The cop simply replied "you were sitting in a car with marijuana, you either take this ticket or I throw you in county jail." The driver of the car had a bowl, a bag or marijuana and a scale. I plan on bringing my 19 year old brother with me to court and im planning on pleading not guilty cause i really dont want anything on my record or have any charges. any advice on how i can get a ACD. i dont intend on telling my parents because im not tryna die :D. so no i will not get a lawyer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You show up without your parents, and you're going to be sent home with a new Court date, and an order for your parents to appear. If they fail to appear, they risk going to jail for Contempt of Court. If you think your parents are going to kill you now, wait until they get picked up on a warrant for not going to Court with you.

I dont intend on telling my parents because im not tryna die :D.
This statement will not get a lot of love here. At 16 you have to start growing up and being responsible. However, I know the feeling first hand. All I can say is it's gonna be so stressful trying to hide and conceal everything from your parents. Sometimes it's best to just to just lose the battle to be able to keep fighting the war. "Hey Mom and Dad, I made a really bad mistake the other day and I'm extremely disappointed by the decision I made, I was raised better than that" Even if that's not how you feel, you have to at least act sincere to them and they will forgive you. They realize that you are only 16 and you will mature and make better decisions in years to come.

And I wrote that and just now realized you're a minor and your parents will be notified. They WILL find out. It's just best you tell them something like I suggested than for them to get a letter in the mail and ask you what happened. It shows maturity already if you come to them. You're afraid to tell them because of the fear of disappointing them. They will be disappointed either way but they will at least be glad that you came to them about it. Good luck.

You Are Guilty

Do you have to go to Family Court or Criminal Court for the ticket? (Did the police ask your age?)

There is ZERO chance you can get away with not bringing a parent to Criminal Court. Some (very, very few counties' ) Family Courts might let you appear on your own.

You're going to have to fess up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">