• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofer wants to sue me ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wbillard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
My wife contacted a local roofing company here in DFW and my wife had signed a contract that they would do all the work in the claim but, the contract signed doesn't state what is being done at all . and I have never received a scope of work or a price from the contractor of whats being done .

The claim was turned into state farm by my wife only for the composite roof and nothing else . The roofer had stated they where going to save our deductible that is 3300 and change . I had received the statement from state farm for the claim . The agent had added a few storage building and a awning into the claim that was not stated to be done by the roofing company .

here is my problem . I sent the roofer the claim summery with just the composite roof with a Actual Cash Value of 2500 . State farms break down of the roof had the new roof estimated at 5800 to replace.

I know that normally you pay the roofer your deductible . For me that's 3300
and if you total the ACV from state farm and my deductible it equals 5800 enough to do the roof . The roofer had stated they where going to save me my deductible before knowing what is was . since the agent from state farm had added more to the claim then just the composite roof the roofers are seeking the money that part of the claim also . in there paper work that my wife had signed states that they are to do all work and receive all the money for the claim , but doesn't state what work is being done or the amounts to be paid for such work . it just has a blanket statement for the claim .

so what I need to know is can they stake claim to work that wasn't negotiated for them to do that the state farm agent added after the claim was started .

can they really sue me for not cutting them the full check and not doing any work before hand .

my wife and I have had abusive phone calls and threats of being sued from the roofers almost everyday.

also The state farm agent had told me since the building's in the back and the awning are metal and the damage is only cosmetic that as long as we never claimed them on the insurance again that we could use the money for upgrades to the composite roof (better shingles, air vents and such)or something else. my wife agreed that the metal roof's and awning would not be replaced because it is just cosmetic and in the back yard.

my question to this is can the roofers actually stake claim to money to what is not being done even though it's included in the claim.

Any help would be much appreciated. Sincerely WBillard

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">