• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

9supratt4

I have a Civil case going on right now in NJ. I am the plaintiff in the case. The case first started 4/08.

Now in the 3 years, my attorney has racked up a sizable bill. He has never asked for payment, but is starting to now.

Here is my dilemma....

My case is me against a township organization for defamation of character, violation of constitutional rights, wrongful termination and violation of due process rights.

Now I have some witnesses that I have had from the beginning, but the witnesses refuse to say what they know unless in the presence of an attorney. I told my attorney this and he never met with them. I was not deposed until July 21, 2010. The main defendant was not deposed until March 31, 2011 and it was done with a rush because the defendants attorney was filing a motion for summary judgement.

Still to this day....my attorney has not questioned my witnesses at all and because of that when we went to court this past Friday for the motion on summary judgement the judge dismissed the defamation count because my attorney did not have any proof or statements from witnesses stating the defendant made the defamatory remarks. His answer to the judge was that they are going to testify in court.

My attorney also sent the defendant admissions that were due in the beginning of August. At my deposition the defendants attorney asked for an extension and we agreed to give until September 3rd. We never received the admissions. But my attorney says he called the defendants in Sept., Oct., Nov. & Dec. when he finally told the defendants that he was filing a motion for summary judgement because the admissions are deemed admitted if not responded within the time frame. The defendant then email the admissions over.

Now we have another court date set in a couple weeks for an Evidenciary Hearing because the defendants state they sent numerous letters asking for extensions for the admissions, but my attorney never received them.

There is so much to this story....and my attorney made a run for Governor, so I personally feel that my case has not been handled correctly or timely. When I question my attorney he says he was trying not to do too much at first as to not run up my bill because he was hoping it would settle. Well seriously?? If he would have gotten statements from witnesses earlier and did all this stuff first, then am I wrong, but they probably would have settled......And not to mention, how many times I would go months without hearing from him at all.

I'm wondering if I can fire my attorney without having to pay him for the work he has done and hire a new one. I know it's probably a long shot, but this is ridiculous!!

Silverplum

I have a Civil case going on right now in NJ. I am the plaintiff in the case. The case first started 4/08.

Now in the 3 years, my attorney has racked up a sizable bill. He has never asked for payment, but is starting to now.

Here is my dilemma....

My case is me against a township organization for defamation of character, violation of constitutional rights, wrongful termination and violation of due process rights.

Now I have some witnesses that I have had from the beginning, but the witnesses refuse to say what they know unless in the presence of an attorney. I told my attorney this and he never met with them. I was not deposed until July 21, 2010. The main defendant was not deposed until March 31, 2011 and it was done with a rush because the defendants attorney was filing a motion for summary judgement.

Still to this day....my attorney has not questioned my witnesses at all and because of that when we went to court this past Friday for the motion on summary judgement the judge dismissed the defamation count because my attorney did not have any proof or statements from witnesses stating the defendant made the defamatory remarks. His answer to the judge was that they are going to testify in court.

My attorney also sent the defendant admissions that were due in the beginning of August. At my deposition the defendants attorney asked for an extension and we agreed to give until September 3rd. We never received the admissions. But my attorney says he called the defendants in Sept., Oct., Nov. & Dec. when he finally told the defendants that he was filing a motion for summary judgement because the admissions are deemed admitted if not responded within the time frame. The defendant then email the admissions over.

Now we have another court date set in a couple weeks for an Evidenciary Hearing because the defendants state they sent numerous letters asking for extensions for the admissions, but my attorney never received them.

There is so much to this story....and my attorney made a run for Governor, so I personally feel that my case has not been handled correctly or timely. When I question my attorney he says he was trying not to do too much at first as to not run up my bill because he was hoping it would settle. Well seriously?? If he would have gotten statements from witnesses earlier and did all this stuff first, then am I wrong, but they probably would have settled......And not to mention, how many times I would go months without hearing from him at all.

I'm wondering if I can fire my attorney without having to pay him for the work he has done and hire a new one. I know it's probably a long shot, but this is ridiculous!!
No freaking way.

Would you be happy if you worked for a while and YOUR boss decided not to pay and fired you instead? Of course you have to pay for work done. sheesh.

9supratt4

So I have to pay for a service that was not up to the standards that I signed in my retainer agreement?

I'm looking for some real legal advice, so please help.

Silverplum

So I have to pay for a service that was not up to the standards that I signed in my retainer agreement?

I'm looking for some real legal advice, so please help.
You can wait around for more answers, but I'm correct. So's Randolph, and he's new here.

:rolleyes:

You could also call your local Bar Association and make a formal complaint, see if that gets you anywhere. (I doubt it, but you could certainly try.)

But you seemed fine with his service to use it for 3 years. How are you going to make the argument now that you don't have to pay for it?

After that? Collections, possibly. The lawyer could report it to the credit bureaus. Sue you for what he's owed. Why go down that road? Just pay.

9supratt4

I had an attorney that I spoke to a couple months ago say that it is possible to not have to pay him for his services as long as I could prove that he was negligent (not sure if that's the correct word), in handling my case.

Why did I stick with him for 3 years?? I didn't really know that I had an option. But when all this crap started happening and we started going to court and I could tell he wasn't prepared and had the judge asking for things that I told him to do 2 years ago....a light bulb kind of turned on.

9supratt4

I also just pulled out my Retainer Agreement.....

It says that, "The Law Firm is not obligated to file suit on Client's behalf until an investigation of the matter is complete."

Wouldn't investigation be speaking to my witnesses? I still don't know if my witnesses are on my side or not, because they refuse to say anything without an attorney being present.

Am I wrong in saying that speaking to them should have been something done before filing?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I also just pulled out my Retainer Agreement.....

It says that, "The Law Firm is not obligated to file suit on Client's behalf until an investigation of the matter is complete."

Wouldn't investigation be speaking to my witnesses? I still don't know if my witnesses are on my side or not, because they refuse to say anything without an attorney being present.

Am I wrong in saying that speaking to them should have been something done before filing?
yes you are wrong. If they are YOUR witnesses YOU should be able to say what they know. Or they really aren't your witnesses. Also, while the law firm is NOT obligated to file they can file based on your belief. You owe the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">