• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overcharged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bill wehmeier

In settling my mother's estate in Missouri, I had a CPA "friend" who works for a small accounting firm to file the Federal Estate Tax. Before I engaged him, I asked for an estimate as to the cost. His answer was "$1500 maybe up to $3000". This was said also in front of my sister. After the tax form was completed. He gave me a bill for $7000. I told him that it was "substantially over" his estimate. He responded that there was extra work involved. After I paid him I showed the completed form to another CPA and to an Estate Tax lawyer and asked them what they thought the cost should be. Both of their answers were in the $2000 to $3000 range. I haven't confronted my "friend" yet because I haven't received a closure letter from the IRS yet and I may need him in case there is some question on the return which he prepared.
Do I have any legal recourse? What would be the best way to handle this if he refuses to refund any of the charge?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">