• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering the outcome of this arrest.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PUFMM

About 2 weeks ago 2 white males are traveling northbound on I95 In Camden County Georgia in a white 94 Toyota pick up with Florida tags. A Camden county sheriff pulls them over for impeding traffic (going 4 mph under the limit on the far left lane).
The sheriff asks the driver if he can search and the driver refuses a search. The police officer calls in the dog and the dog hits on the truck. Upon removing and searching the passenger the police found a quarter ounce of marijuana.

They are arrested on April 21, 2011. The drivers bale is set for roughly $2,000 while the passengers bail is set for roughly $1,000. There court appearance is set for June 10th. They are required to pay 100% of the bale before released the next day. They are now set for court on June 1st.

Those are the facts

my first dispute with this is a bad pull over. 4 under in a 70 on the far left lane with minimal traffic does not seem a good reason to pull someone over. They may be slightly irritating to other drivers wanting to speed or just do the limit but i don't see how this impedes traffic.

Another dispute was his probable cause. Why did he ask to search the vehicle he reported no odor of marijuana in his report. did he have probable cause and does he need probable cause to bring a dog out.

Then of course why was the driver taken into custody when he didn't have any marijuana on his person or in his truck. The passenger also admit to the police that all of the contraband belonged to him.

Then of course there is the blatant disregard for the defendants right to a speedy trial.

Just Blue

About 2 weeks ago 2 white males are traveling northbound on I95 In Camden County Georgia in a white 94 Toyota pick up with Florida tags. A Camden county sheriff pulls them over for impeding traffic (going 4 mph under the limit on the far left lane).
The sheriff asks the driver if he can search and the driver refuses a search. The police officer calls in the dog and the dog hits on the truck. Upon removing and searching the passenger the police found a quarter ounce of marijuana.

They are arrested on April 21, 2011. The drivers bale is set for roughly $2,000 while the passengers bail is set for roughly $1,000. There court appearance is set for June 10th. They are required to pay 100% of the bale before released the next day. They are now set for court on June 1st.

Those are the facts

my first dispute with this is a bad pull over. 4 under in a 70 on the far left lane with minimal traffic does not seem a good reason to pull someone over. They may be slightly irritating to other drivers wanting to speed or just do the limit but i don't see how this impedes traffic.

Another dispute was his probable cause. Why did he ask to search the vehicle he reported no odor of marijuana in his report. did he have probable cause and does he need probable cause to bring a dog out.

Then of course why was the driver taken into custody when he didn't have any marijuana on his person or in his truck. The passenger also admit to the police that all of the contraband belonged to him.

Then of course there is the blatant disregard for the defendants right to a speedy trial.
Are you a co-defendent? If not... We do not do homework.

Antigone*

I'm the driver. There's no need to do any homework i just want a quick opinion on how i should go about this and what I'm to expect.
I suggest you show up in order. Expect to let the justice system take its course.

So how much of what did they find on you guys?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Those are the facts

Maybe because it's against the law in Georgia? :rolleyes:

O.C.G.A. § 40-6-184
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2011 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.
*** Current Through the 2010 Regular Session ***
*** Annotations Current Through March 14, 2011 ***
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 6. UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
ARTICLE 9. SPEED RESTRICTIONS
O.C.G.A. § 40-6-184 (2011)
§ 40-6-184. Impeding traffic flow; minimum speed in left-hand lanes

(a)(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation.

(2) On roads, streets, or highways with two or more lanes allowing for movement in the same direction, no person shall continue to operate a motor vehicle in the most left-hand lane at less than the maximum lawful speed limit once such person knows or should reasonably know that he is being overtaken in such lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed, except when such motor vehicle is preparing for a left turn.

(b) Whenever the commissioner of public safety or the commissioner of transportation or local authorities determine on the basis of any engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a road under their respective jurisdictions impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, such commissioners jointly, or such local authorities, may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation, and that limit shall be effective when posted upon fixed or variable signs.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 51; Code 1933, § 68A-805, enacted by Ga. L. 1975, p. 1582, § 1; Ga. L. 1987, p. 361, § 2; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5.

O.C.G.A. § 40-6-184
Redirecting

PUFMM

Ok my main question is why was i arrested when i had no marijuana. is there a law in Georgia where they can charge both of us with the same bag. and what about the blatant disregard for my right to a speedy trial.

Also i noticed it says "except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation." I was driving on a spare tire because i had a blow out about a hundred miles earlier. So i was trying to take it easy in order to preserve my spare. I don't think that applies but im just asking.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Ok my main question is why was i arrested when i had no marijuana. is there a law in Georgia where they can charge both of us with the same bag. and what about the blatant disregard for my right to a speedy trial.

Also i noticed it says "except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation." I was driving on a spare tire because i had a blow out about a hundred miles earlier. So i was trying to take it easy in order to preserve my spare. I don't think that applies but im just asking.
The way that the State of Georgia defines possession is important in determining if someone is guilty of a possession charge.

In Georgia, possession can be “actual” or “constructive”. This simply means that the drugs do not have to be in your pocket or on your person in order for you to be charged and found guilty of possession.

If you have control over the drugs, whether they are in your glove compartment or on your coffee table, is what determines if you are in possession of the drugs.

Also, if an officer sees you throw or attempt to hide a package that is later determined to contain drugs, you can be charged with possession.
Georgia Drug Laws - GA Drug Possession Penalties | Georgia Criminal Defense Lawyers

For more information:
Georgia Code - Crimes and Offenses - Title 16 - Georgia Attorney Resources - Georgia Laws

Dude, you should not have been in that left hand lane. You did this to yourself. Oh, the penalty for possession in GA?
Up to $1,000 and one year in prison
Hope you like grits and Bubba. :cool:

PUFMM

Georgia Drug Laws - GA Drug Possession Penalties | Georgia Criminal Defense Lawyers

For more information:
Georgia Code - Crimes and Offenses - Title 16 - Georgia Attorney Resources - Georgia Laws

Dude, you should not have been in that left hand lane. You did this to yourself. Oh, the penalty for possession in GA?

Hope you like grits and Bubba. :cool:
This is not helpful at all. im not facing any jail time for your information. The bail is set to cover the 1000 dollar fine. Besides that article completely failed to answer my question about me not possesing anything. If your a lawyer your not a very good. Prove me wrong :p.

Last edited:

PUFMM

no weed was found in my truck just on the passenger's person thus he possesed it we cant both posses the same damn thing thats just common sense.

PUFMM

the whole county is corrupt in fact the whole revenue of the town Woodbind which is where the jail was located is from **** like they pulled on me. The cops who work there, the guards, the bondsman, the tow truck and impound lots. is the entirety of the jobs in the town, besides a factory. I would not trust a lawyer from Camden county all I'm gonna get is the judges nephew who will sell me out and gouge me for even more money. instead I'm going Pro-Se (which i have to sense I'm not facing jail time just a forfeit of the ridiculous bail i was ransomed into) I wont even be able to get a public defender. I'm fighting on the grounds that i didn't posses any marijuana but rather my passenger was the one who possessed it. That is my main argument. and i think that's my best bet. If i can argue against the probable cause then that's a secondary issue that I'm still at this point researching. If anyone knows anything about probable cause i would appreciate the education on it.

Now you where a little helpful about the stop but that's about the extent of it.

btw i love grits and Bubba has a pretty mouth.:p

I'm also looking into getting the FBI to investigate Camden county and I'm in the process of contacting internal affairs, and the A.C.L.U. My defendant is going to local news with it but I'm not to confident in that idea. I'm also gonna be writing several letters to whoever i can. (Still trying to find out exactly who would be the best to write these to open for suggestions)

PUFMM

It has to be in my control. My passengers pockets are not within the confines of my control. What is in my passengers pockets is his business its his 4th amendment right. Am i supposed to compose a search on all my passengers before letting them in the vehicle?

Driving with tags from a different state, the day after 4/20, in the fast lane driving below the speed limit with a spare tire. SMH dude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">