• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never got caught

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matt1974

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I am clean now for 1 month. My dealer got busted--just heard this today. we were never arrested when I bought drugs from him--pills...could the police arrest me with surveillance if he was under surveillance? Please help I am scared. Thanks...what is the staute of limitations for charging me in CA?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? The pills I bought were for self use only.

Isis1

Absolutely the police could arrest you. They have two years to press charges. If you are contacted don't breathe a word to anyone without the presence of an attorney.

CdwJava

If your actions constituted a felony, they have three years to initiate proceedings. One year if a misdemeanor. Depending on the substance, you could still be susceptible to arrest. Though, I would think it unlikely unless you were a big fish or could lead them to bigger fish.

Isis1

If your actions constituted a felony, they have three years to initiate proceedings. One year if a misdemeanor. Depending on the substance, you could still be susceptible to arrest. Though, I would think it unlikely unless you were a big fish or could lead them to bigger fish.
oh nutts!:eek:

calatty

Arrested for what? In CA, possession of drugs is a crime. To be guilty of that crime, the police have to find you in possession of drugs. You cannot be convicted based on someone's statement that at some time in the past you were in possession of drugs, even if that someone is the police. Having been a buyer of drugs in the past is not a crime in CA.

antrc170

If your dealer was under surviellance and the police want to push the issue their observation of the transaction combined with the statement of the dealer will be enough (IMO) to substantiate probable cause for an arrest warrant. The actual charges will be up to the DA. Although it would be difficult to prove possession, you can be charged with the attempt to purchase illegal substances.

CA statutes aren't easy to dig through, but does anyone know if CA has a "intent" statute when purchasing substances? As in, if the buyer intended to purchase marijuana it doesn't matter if all he bought was oregeno, the intent was to gain an illegal substance.

CdwJava

Any charge against him for possession would be tough to make absent the substance or some substantial evidence that he had received the substance at the time. A statement by the dealer would be relatively easy to beat even if on tape.

Depending on details, there might be some offense(s) that could be brought, but we do not have enough detail to know.

As I mentioned, in theory, if there is a felony here the state has three years to bring charges; for a misdemeanor, just one.

tranquility

In California, the testimony of a co-conspirator alone is not enough to convict someone. There must be *some* additional evidence.

cyjeff

So, OP... our best advice would be to absolutely SCOUR your car and your home. Make sure there is nothing to be found.

When in doubt as to whether something was used in your former life, throw it away...

TONIGHT

waksr

If your on video buying drugs yes you can get arrested. if you went to rehab or can prove you are clean you will probably get a slap on the wrist or asked to testify against the dealer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">