• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reposession of Car with clear title and no liens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chrisjames

I purchased a car over 18 months ago. The car had no liens and a clear title. The title says I am the owner and there are no liens. The carfax report also says this. The person/dealer I bought the car from turned out to be a crook. He was selling allot of cars and somehow defrauding the bank about the car loans. Thus happened maybe 9 months ago. Today some company came and re-posessed my car. I haven't spoken to them yet. I tried to report the car stolen but the police said it was reposessed. Can they reposess a car that I own and that i have no loans against? I never took a loan out on the car and paid with check and credit card. Im really upset about this. I plan on calling them tomorrow and possibly contacting an attorney.

Thank you all for any advice!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

I purchased a car over 18 months ago. The car had no liens and a clear title. The title says I am the owner and there are no liens. The carfax report also says this. The person/dealer I bought the car from turned out to be a crook. He was selling allot of cars and somehow defrauding the bank about the car loans. Thus happened maybe 9 months ago. Today some company came and re-posessed my car. I haven't spoken to them yet. I tried to report the car stolen but the police said it was reposessed. Can they reposess a car that I own and that i have no loans against? I never took a loan out on the car and paid with check and credit card. Im really upset about this. I plan on calling them tomorrow and possibly contacting an attorney.

Thank you all for any advice!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
First of all, U.S. LAW ONLY. You missed the state.

Secondly, if the person who sold you the car was a crook, then chances are they didn't have the rights to sell it to you in the first place. If you paid cash/credit card for the car, and paid in full at the time of purchase, then there shouldn't be a finance company involved here, either.

Sounds like you need to contact the District Attorney to report the fraudulent sale of the vehicle. OR sue the dealership for your money back.

OHRoadwarrior

Many car dealers take loans to finance their floor plan. They pay interest on the outstanding balance monthly. The cars they are loaned money to buy, are loan collateral. Their agreement is for them to pay the outstanding loan against the vehicle when sold. Sounds like your dealer was selling cars and not paying the loans, they secured. They had an interest in the vehicle before you did. Your only option IMO is sue the dealer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">