• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying and then reselling electronics question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BHokie89

I live in Virginia and was wondering what/if there were any laws against buying and then reselling electronics. I like to buy from local stores such as best buy and Craigslist and then sell them on websites like amazon, eBay, etc. for a profit. If I am able to sell them at a higher price then that wouldn't be against any laws would it? Thanks

justalayman

unless you have entered into some agreement that included restrictions on you reselling them, you are free to buy and sell as much as you want.

FlyingRon

As pointed out that once they are in the retail stream, the manufacturer loses any rights to control the further resale. You can not however, advertise them as new (you can say unused, unopened) but when you bought them, they ceased to be new.

Craigslist is not a "local store."

I suspect strongly that your business model is highly suspect. Why would anybody pay more on ebay for something than they could get by buying direct from Best Buy (which pretty much sells the same stuff on line as well). I'd be really surprised if you even made enough to cover the ebay/paypal fees let alone make any sort of profit.

Note that if you make a business out of this, you will still be required to obey Virginia laws and collect and remit sales tax on sales in the state (and you must submit the periodic forms even if you make no in-state sales in that period).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">