• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dealing with prejudice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marieb99

I’m a student at a four year University. I need to add that I’m an Honors Student. Today during class, my professor yelled out my grade during class. She didn’t ask me to do this, nor did I give her my consent. This wasn’t done to any other student. My humiliation does not have anything to do with why I’m writing. I just need to know if she had the right to invade my privacy like that. Also, the way I was singled out has to be some sort of prejudice. Of course, I’m not seeking any legal action, just advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

marieb99 said:
I’m a student at a four year University. I need to add that I’m an Honors Student. Today during class, my professor yelled out my grade during class. She didn’t ask me to do this, nor did I give her my consent. This wasn’t done to any other student. My humiliation does not have anything to do with why I’m writing. I just need to know if she had the right to invade my privacy like that. Also, the way I was singled out has to be some sort of prejudice. Of course, I’m not seeking any legal action, just advice.

My response:

Please help me to understand your post. I can't figure out how being "singled out" has anything to do with "prejudice". Other than being "singled out", how does that equate to sex, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, religion, or national origin ?

Also, from any of the above categories, are there others in your class falling into the same categories; e.g., if you are Black, are there other Blacks in your class ? Or, if you are Jewish, are there any other Jews in your class ?

I really want to "tack this down" and make sure you are not merely throwing words around, but rather, are serious in your remarks - - because to accuse someone of "prejudice" (especially a professor) is a serious matter.

IAAL

M

marieb99

In my first message, I didn't mean to imply that my professor was being prejudice. I just didn't know how else to describe the situation that I was in. This professor just singled me out of a crowd and gave out personal information of mine. I felt that it was not only unprofessional, but out of line because I never gave her the consent to put my grades on disply. I just need to know if Professors are allowed to do that.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: re: dealing with prejudice

marieb99 said:
In my first message, I didn't mean to imply that my professor was being prejudice. I just didn't know how else to describe the situation that I was in. This professor just singled me out of a crowd and gave out personal information of mine. I felt that it was not only unprofessional, but out of line because I never gave her the consent to put my grades on disply. I just need to know if Professors are allowed to do that.
My response:

Sure they can. This has nothing to do with FERPA rights and, your grade is an expression of his opinion. His opinion is protected speech under the First Amendment.

Yes, I agree, it's a bit unprofessional by saying something like, "Hey everyone ! Look at the "D" I gave to Marie ! I guess that screws up her 'honor' status."

However, it's not actionable. But, that's not to say that you couldn't complain to the Administration Office to see if they can curb his mouth. Just don't think, by doing this, you'll be endearing yourself to the Prof. If he's that childish in the first place, expect him to "take it out on you" in the future.

Rock [Marie] Hardplace

IAAL

M

marieb99

Today, I sent off a complaint to the Head of Academic Affairs about what happened to me. Thanks for the advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">