• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

used car in nc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlt31624

I recently bought a 2002 gmc yukon denali. As is no warranty. The following day i noticed a loud popping sound from the front. I then emailed the dealer and told him what it was doing. he replied to drive it a few days and see if it got worse. said hes sure nothing would break because he had it checked out good. The following day i took it to a mechanic who then sent me to a transmissions expert and they said the transfer case is about to break and needs rebuilding. Its been a week and the dealer still hasnt made an effort to fix this or do anything. Said he checking on getting me a used warranty to cover it. this was an existing condition and wasnt disclosed.

Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices — Every state has an Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) law. These laws can often be used even if the used car is sold "as is," as long as the dealer is guilty of a verbal deception or a failure to disclose information about the vehicle.
help please

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently bought a 2002 gmc yukon denali. As is no warranty. The following day i noticed a loud popping sound from the front. I then emailed the dealer and told him what it was doing. he replied to drive it a few days and see if it got worse. said hes sure nothing would break because he had it checked out good. The following day i took it to a mechanic who then sent me to a transmissions expert and they said the transfer case is about to break and needs rebuilding. Its been a week and the dealer still hasnt made an effort to fix this or do anything. Said he checking on getting me a used warranty to cover it. this was an existing condition and wasnt disclosed.

Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices — Every state has an Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) law. These laws can often be used even if the used car is sold "as is," as long as the dealer is guilty of a verbal deception or a failure to disclose information about the vehicle.
help please
It it started happening AFTER you left the lot, what makes you think the dealer knew about it or has any responsibility to fix it? You bought it AS-IS.

sandyclaus

help please
Considering that the vehicle was sold to you as-is, no warranty, what did the mechanic you hired say about the vehicle before you bought it?

In an AS-IS sale, it is the buyer's responsibility to verify the condition of the vehicle they are purchasing. In such a situation, you should ALWAYS have your own mechanic give the car a full inspection to determine it's mechanical and physical condition so that you know what you are paying for. Unless the seller offers you a WRITTEN warranty or guarantee of fitness, any issues you find after the vehicle leaves the lot are on you.

The fact that the dealer hasn't gotten back to you about that "used warranty" says to me that they aren't going to. Nor are they under any obligation to do so. You have no proof that they even knew there was a problem, and they offered you no guarantees before you purchased.

Bottom line, enjoy the new car, and don't expect any help from the dealer on this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">