• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excessive Overtime in a Salaried Position.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AFool

first off, I'm very tired, please forgive me if my text lacks spelling, or grammer...

Okay, I am a computer programmer in Los Angeles, CA. More specificly, a game programmer. In the game industry, we all get paid a fixed salary and generally work 40 hour weeks. (We = Computer Programmers and Digital Artists)

however, at any time it seems, management may say, "okay everyone, you have to work 12 hour days for the next 2 months"... often times this will include saturdays as well. I stress, it's not just this company, it's every company in the game making industry.

Since we're all on salary, they can have us work 12 hours a day, for 6 days a week with no extra compansation.

How is this legal?

I mean, it must be legal because the whole industry is doing it... but I'm (we're) more than a little burned out here, they already own the rights to anything I may say, think, sketch, or doodle on or off the premesis / before or after work hours. Now they've taken our personal lives as well. Wives are upset, Girlfriends walk away.

We make games because it's what we dream of doing... it's a lot of hard work, but it's work we like to do... but this is rediculous... they've made it a standard to take advantage of people who want to make games.

Please, someone tell me I can find a way to get my life back without leaving my industry.

B

buddy2bear

I'm a big Tombraider game player and I don't think you guys/gals are turning them out fast enough, so I think you should work 24/7!! LOL

As with any "new" industry, the envelope is being pushed. And as with any "new" industry, it is up to the people to take care of themselves -- which means --- UNIONIZE, get into another line of work, or burn out in a short period of time.

Besides, don't you "youngsters" think that "sleep is a habit?"

A

AFool

quote buddy2bear {

I don't think you guys/gals are turning them out fast enough, so I think you should work 24/7!!
[...]
[if you can't handle it] get into another line of work, or burn out in a short period of time.

Besides, don't you "youngsters" think that "sleep is a habit?"

} END quote buddy2bear

these are the publisher's words, almost exactally.

I am a "youngster". I'm 24. but most of the people I work with are between 28 and 40. They have wives, and families that get neglected, not by choice. They are the ones who have told me that all of this is legal, and there's nothing we can do.... but I'll be damned if I'll neglect my future family 10 years from now, even though the last thing I want to do is quit making games.

B

buddy2bear

LOL - you should worry about a family "10 years from now." You actually are going to wait that long? That will mean you will be 34 when you start one -- way too old to keep up with a kid -- take it from one who "waited" and wished she hadn't!!!

So, you want to change a "new" industry -- well, then I suggest you start your own Union -- The International Programmers & Gamers Union -- or contact a union and organize your company because that will be the only way you will institute constructive changes in your industry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">