• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take back a privately owned vehicle that has NOT been paid in full?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgrigg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I sold my car to a family friend. He only paid down half as I was trying to help him get into a car. I have allowed him to keep my current tags. The tags expire at the end of this month and I refuse to sign over the title until it is paid in full. Can I require that he pay the additional money owed to me by the end of the month since the tags will expire? and if he doesnt pay can I legally take the car back since it is still registered in my name? I more than likely screwed myself, but I was trying to help out a friend.... thank you for your time:confused:

Last edited:

xylene

Just so you are aware, what you are doing is tag fraud.

Conduct your car sales properly and don't use 'helping out' as an excuse to cheat the government on taxes and fees. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">